+1

Does everyone flush their ski after running in fresh water?

I never do it (except when winterizing) and don't run in salt water.
    Should I be flushing?
    Last edited by gbest; 08-10-2014 at 08:40 AM.

+1
    I keep mine in the lake so I don't flush it, though it probably wouldn't hurt to flush it now and then. Probably a good habit just to get into if your that concerned but I never had an issue. if it's real brackish water and you can see oil and gas floating in the pond then I would probably flush it but I wouldn't recommend riding in that pond to begin with.

A wash down is always good to keep the ski clean, I used mine in salt water once and didn't flush with a kit I put it back in the lake and rode it for 30 min and figured that would be enough to flush it out.

Being on the lake with shollow waters I'm more concerned with the cooling lines to make sure I'm not getting them filled with sand.

The manual has flushing instructions. They say to flush after running in salt water or dirty water. You have to decide if what you just ran in warrants the flushing. It's an easy process if you want to flush it every time do it. You can't hurt it.

Actually you CAN hurt the ski while flushing. There are many ways to do it. You could mess up the order of turning the hose on, your ski could shut off and the hose still run. You could run it for waaay to long (what 80% of people do alread) and kill your carbon seal.

If you are really that worried. 20 seconds on the flush and thats all you'll need. Blip the throttle once or twice, but dont let it get high and dont rev it up like your on a crotch rocket. Sort of Overkill on a fresh water ski, but you could have some gunk get clogged in the exhaust system. The three holes on the j pipe are what seems to be most problems tend to be at. I had a speck of sand/coral clog two of the three holes once that blew the exhaust temp sensor out of the muffler. Not a fun day...

To be fair, i flushed my seadoos maybe once...in two years..and they lived in salt water.

+1
    I flush mine after every use I figure I'm pulling the hose out to wash it any ways. The process takes less than a minute but I worked for as jet ski rental company for years that rented ski's on the beach the spent there entire life in the ocean and we only flushed them at the end of the season and many of these ski's hours wise lasted just fine.

Totally agree, if you take it out and just drive it on the weekends or periodically, then always flush er out. No reason not too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gbest View Post
    I never do it (except when winterizing) and don't run in salt water.
    Should I be flushing?
    I don't.

+1
    every time after salt water rides....fresh water,not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    Actually you CAN hurt the ski while flushing. There are many ways to do it. You could mess up the order of turning the hose on, your ski could shut off and the hose still run.

If you noticed I refered the OP to the owners manual. In the manual there is only 1 way to flush the unit. Provided you follow the basic instructions in the manual you can't hurt it. If you choose any of the other methods posted you are assuming the risk.

Thread Information