Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Broke down in Sac town....again!

I have an 01 virage,[2cyl., carbed] that I recently got running. It had a spark problem so I installed a new stator, LR505, and a new magnet holder[inside flywheel]. I took it out to the river, blowing out the carbs,it ran great for about 45 mins., then she just stopped. I tried to start it again and I noticed the display was not showing the RPM as I cranked the engine.What gives? It did'nt heat up, I've got compression. I'm guessing CDI. Any thoughts? Any and all input greatly appeciated!

+1
    Welcome. You need to come down to orwood and ride.

Sounds good. So how do you think that Amsoil holds up against Redline? I put Redline in the Polaris and it about killed it. It did'nt like it at all.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CPZ View Post
    I have an 01 virage,[2cyl., carbed] that I recently got running. It had a spark problem so I installed a new stator, LR505, and a new magnet holder[inside flywheel].

I took it out to the river, blowing out the carbs, it ran great for about 45 mins., then she just stopped.

I tried to start it again and I noticed the display was not showing the RPM as I cranked the engine. What gives?

It did'nt heat up, I've got compression. I'm guessing CDI.

Any thoughts? Any and all input greatly appeciated!
    CDI does not provide RPM signal for the MFD tachometer. The RPM signal comes directly from the stator charging coil.

The engine now cranks but does not start, correct?

Do you have spark?

If you have spark, is the ignition timing correct?

Hmm, I guess a brand new factory polaris part could go bad. I'll check an get back to you

So, I was scratching my head looking at the engine, trying to figure out why it wasn't firing, when I thought what the hell I'll hold down the bilge button while I crank it, and what do you know she started! But... I still have no rpm display. So one, the cheap Chinese LR505 module from Mr. Electric, burnt out after just one ride. The part number matched my model number but there was one thing different the purple wire on the new module was solid and not purple/white like the original. Could this have anything to do with having no rpm displayed? The display shows fuel, oil, and clock, but no rpm! Could the rpm display be the only thing to burn out on the display? What's going on?

All input appreciated

+1
    Have you checked connections in electrical box?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CPZ View Post
    So, I was scratching my head looking at the engine, trying to figure out why it wasn't firing, when I thought what the hell I'll hold down the bilge button while I crank it, and what do you know she started!

But... I still have no rpm display. So one, the cheap Chinese LR505 module from Mr. Electric, burnt out after just one ride. The part number matched my model number but there was one thing different the purple wire on the new module was solid and not purple/white like the original. Could this have anything to do with having no rpm displayed?

The display shows fuel, oil, and clock, but no rpm! Could the rpm display be the only thing to burn out on the display? What's going on?
    Check the Yellow wires and especially the stator charging coil connections. Stator charging coil has Yellow wire and Red/Purple.

The Yellow wires should all have full battery voltage when the engine is not running. This indicates the charging coil is intact and is connected to battery power at the other end of the charging coil, which is normal.

The stator charging coil is also the source for the RPM signal to the display, via the Yellow stator wire.

The LR module can be bypassed for testing. This will confirm the LR module is not interfering with the RPM signal.

Yup, I misplaced the red/purple coming from CD I, thanks. I got rpm reading now. I know you're not supposed to charge the battery with both leads connected, but can you still leave the ground connected, or should I disconnect both leads?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information