Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Riding Etiquette - HELP

Yesterday my son and I were out at the lake enjoying a calm day on the water. Which is not a whole lot of fun on Wave Runners. So we were looking for boats throwing off big wakes so we could go jump. No problem finding that, nice wake boat looked to be heading across the lake to go do their thing. So, naturally we took off after them. Wake boats throw off pretty good wakes so we were having a blast. After about 5-10 minutes the boat stops and the drivier looks to be trying to say something to me, I cut the engine, put my hand to my ear and he yells out "Get the f*** away from my boat!" I waved a respectful "will do" and we took off. We never got within 150 feet of his boat, so my question is, are we not supposed to be chasing boats, jumping their wakes? I've only been riding for two summers now and thought, maybe I'm riding with bad etequette? I don't want to be disrespectful to anyone else or make anyone uncomfortable in their $50K wake board boats. We're all there to have a good time. This is a huge forum and was hoping you guys with all the experience could help me understand the proper riding etiquette in regards to situations like this. Thanks.

+1
    Jumping boat wakes is ok, but not for 5-10 minutes behind the same boat.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    150 feet behind is getting close.

The law in some areas sets the minimum distance farther back than that.

We don't do much jumping but in general we do so going in the opposite direction, not following the big boat.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    welcome to GH..you're lucky to only have been yelled at.

Jumping boat wakes is kinda like sitting outside the ladies room tying your shoe...for twenty minutes.

find another and safer way to have some fun. Or make some good friends with some boaters and you'll have all the wakes you can jump..until somebody miscalculates and there is an incident/

+1
    ya, a couple of jumps ok, 3 loops around. then a wave to say bye. around me a boat can attract several jumpers on a weekend, and they come flyin in from both sides. dangerous, disrespectful. once a boater has seen 3 or 4 maniacs trying to cut btw the transom and the first wave, they develop a dislike for jumpers. stay far away from the boat, and dont overstay your welcome
    my best friend crashed into the side of my boat, with my ski!!!!! trying to splash the girls i had up on the bow. he was done riding for the day after that! amazingly the ski bounced of the side of the hull and only had scuff marks that buffed out. when he hit i thought he was dead for sure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    welcome to GH..you're lucky to only have been yelled at.

Jumping boat wakes is kinda like sitting outside the ladies room tying your shoe...for twenty minutes.

find another and safer way to have some fun. Or make some good friends with some boaters and you'll have all the wakes you can jump..until somebody miscalculates and there is an incident/

you can try the ladies room thing here in NY- if you like the taste of pepper spray.

+1
    I own both a boat and a jet ski and this would all depend on the situation. As long as the ski stayed behind my eye sight and I'm not towing anyone I wouldn't care how long they stayed back there as long as they never came remotely close to the boat. The problem does become when towing someone or unexpected turns from the boat. this past week end the weather was not so great so we took only the ski out and I was jumping wake from a boat that had a tuber on it I was well away from probably 100 plus yards I could barley see the tuber let alone make out anyone on the boat. On after coming across his wake and making a u turn to go back across the boat made a sudden u turn we never came close once again 100 plus yard away but still if I would not have been paying full attention could have gotten ugly fast. Best bet is like mentioned earlier only do this with passing boats dont trail a boat if you do try to find one that appears to be on a mission to get some where and stay well back of the boat.

+1
    I believe the coast guard requires you to maintain a safe distance of 200' when crossing it's wake.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    You can be as respectful and careful as you can be and MANY boaters will still scorn you.
    Remember, skis are cheap(compared to boats) and many 'juveniles' operate them, for that reason.
    Many times the younger crowd(& sometimes the 'older crowd' can be included) wont give a rip about the rules/laws/etiquette/safety and make it REALLY rough for those of us who do.
    You obviously ran into a boater who has had a bad experience, or three, with a PWC operator.
    Good advice has been stated here, but keep in mind - more boaters hate us than like us...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by raceneked View Post
    You can be as respectful and careful as you can be and MANY boaters will still scorn you.
    Remember, skis are cheap(compared to boats) and many 'juveniles' operate them, for that reason.
    Many times the younger crowd(& sometimes the 'older crowd' can be included) wont give a rip about the rules/laws/etiquette/safety and make it REALLY rough for those of us who do.
    You obviously ran into a boater who has had a bad experience, or three, with a PWC operator.
    Good advice has been stated here, but keep in mind - more boaters hate us than like us...
    Yep...a lot of boaters just consider us nothing more than flies.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information