Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris Virage TXI 1200 blown piston. Cause?

OK, so pretty new to me 2001 Virage TXI 1200. Ran great when I bought it a month ago. Started perfect, idled smooth, top speed 59 mph as it should be. Great. Then it had an odd problem - one of the bolts holding the front fuel injector broke in the whole because the seat actually touches it an looks likt it broke it off. OK, so need new bolt but couldn't get broken part out so we ordered a new red head cap part, o-rings and the bolt. You have to take the cooling manifold off, plug, etc. to switch the cap out. We thought we had done it well, but we did not have new gaskets for the cooling manifold so we used a sealent goo type stuff (my brother did it so I don't have details on that part). We did replace the o-rings on the head cap part - the fuel injector doesn't have a gasket between it and the cap (I don't think).

So, we take it out today, seems sluggish at first then just stops. Won't re-start, just a click. After taking it apart a bit we see one of the pistons is basically blown up . It's the same one that we had changed the head cap on so it's safe to assume we did something wrong. We did use a used cap part but it looked in good shape (now it doesn't!).

What are likely causes of this problem? Where might we have screwed up?

Also, can we try to replace the piston and use a cylinder sleeve or something like that?

Thx

I just thought of one thing - could it not be getting oil into the fuel? Maybe the pump isn't working correctly or some other issue. Would that cause a blown piston? Any thoughts?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Can you post photos of the damaged piston and the cylinder walls?

Did the sealant for the water manifold bar get into the water passage and block the water flow?

After putting the engine together during the initial water tests did you monitor engine temperatures for the repaired cylinder?

Have you read up on the recommended maintenance and upgrades for these Ficht engines?

See my signature links for more useful info.

OK, I am attempting to post a photo of the piston. Comments appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris TXI 1200 piston.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	338518  

Pretty simple issue here. The piston got baked becuase it was not getting fuel ... or oil of course. If the oil injection was a problem you would have burned all of the pistons, at least to some extent. I am assumiong that is not the case and that you checked the other cylinders for damage.

An impact strong enough to break a bolt could damage the injecter. These engines use direct injection. A needle vibrates back and forth sending just the right amount of fuel into the cylinder per the computer. If the top of the injecter gets damaged, and that needle doesn't move just right you get the wrong amount of fuel, or in this case, no fuel. After you sleeve the cylinder, install a new piston and head, and check for other mechanical damage, and replace the injecter, you need to test that the injecters are all working correctly or you will just do this again.

Not sure what your point is on the water manifold, but if it wasn't sealed correctly it would leak, but not enough to cause any issue like this.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tmh View Post
    ... photo of the piston.

Comments appreciated.
    What do the other two pistons currently look like?

Do you know what part number the replacement cylinder head is?

When you replaced the cylinder head did you loosen or remove the cylinder or piston at any time?

Was the sealant used on the water manifold bar gasket clogging the water passage?

When it is back together you need to check fuel pressure. In fact, you should repair the fuel pressure regulator inside the fuel pump before you next run the engine. Then check fuel pressure.

Definitely check fuel pressure and regulator. You can find a used piston and cylinder, make sure to check the connecting rod and crank bearing before reassembly. I found the parts I needed on an online auction site. I wold also check readings at TDC and bdc after you get it back together to make sure the rod didn't get damaged. I went through similar meltdown a year ago on a genesis. Sze ficht 1200 engine.

Thanks for the analysis. yeah, it would stand to reason that the injector may have been damaged and caused the piston melt down. Thanks. Now we need a new injector as well as the rest of the damaged parts. Checking proper fuel delivery would likely have avoided this, I guess.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tmh View Post
    Thanks for the analysis. yeah, it would stand to reason that the injector may have been damaged and caused the piston melt down. ... Now we need a new injector as well as the rest of the damaged parts.

Checking proper fuel delivery would likely have avoided this, I guess.
    Is the fuel injector actually damaged?

Replacing an injector also needs the EMM updated with the new injector data. This normally requires the EMM and 'new' injector to be sent out.

Are the other two pistons showing any signs of damage?

Which piston is the one that failed?

It is not yet clear to me why your piston failed.

Low fuel pressure caused a lean burn tidy hole in the center of my Ficht engine piston, and typically the PTO piston goes first when the fuel pressure drops to near zero.

Have we ruled out mechanical damage such as a snagged piston ring or failed connecting rod bearing?

Detonation damage is possible but it is not clear what exactly happened.

It is the piston furthest to the front of the PWC. It rubs the bottom of the seat foam (very strange design) and we figured broke off from that contact.

What is the "PTO" piston? I assumed they are all the same, but really have no idea.

It's at a Polaris dealer now being looked at because we don't want to fix one thing and still have a problem. I'll report back what they come up with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information