GP1300r handling questions

I have an 03 GP1300r right now and it was the first ski I have owned and ever been on so I never was able to compare it to anything. I have always read how awesome the GPs handle. The only handling mod I did was step the sponsons. Recently I was able to test ride a Yamaha FZS and the handling of that just threw me for a surprise. For as big as it is, i felt it handled awesome! I felt alot more confident to whip the FZS around vs the GPR. What am I missing here? Maybe I am being just to cautious with the GP? It just seems the FZS was alot more responsive to steering input. What are your guys thoughts on this?

+1
    better sponsons, Jims modded R&D FF cut ride plate and depending on what your riding in, the intake grate, single bar for rougher waters where you need to stay planted or R&D 1200 two bar for smoother waters

I ran some R&d extended trim tabs for a few days, made the ski so stable in sharp turns even when scooting far up river.

I loved how solid it felt. But I took them off after loosing around 1 mph top end.

it's a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by venomous View Post
    I have an 03 GP1300r right now and it was the first ski I have owned and ever been on so I never was able to compare it to anything. I have always read how awesome the GPs handle. The only handling mod I did was step the sponsons. Recently I was able to test ride a Yamaha FZS and the handling of that just threw me for a surprise. For as big as it is, i felt it handled awesome! I felt alot more confident to whip the FZS around vs the GPR. What am I missing here? Maybe I am being just to cautious with the GP? It just seems the FZS was alot more responsive to steering input. What are your guys thoughts on this?
    ....if your just primarily talking about steering, the quick cheap fix is to replace your steering nozzle with the FZS/SHO stock nozzle. The oval design makes the boat turn quicker much like an extended aftermarket steering nozzle. You'll notice the difference right away.

BTW, one of the theories why the design changed from round to oval is that because the 4-strokes are heavier, they needed a way to make it more responsive and lighter feeling v. 2-stroke in general.

Thread Information