Thread: I need a pill!

+1

I need a pill!

Hey guys, I suspected my 02 turbo was running slow but I've been going slow with the kiddos and not paying too much attention. Today I went to test and for sure I was maxing out at 48 mph. I know I've tested the turbo, wastegate, and WGS. I decided to remove the line to the wastegate and sure enough she surged in RPM and speed and triggered the overboost alarm. I felt around and I'm pretty sure either I or the PO replaced the hose and no longer have the pill between the turbo and tee. Anyone have one, know where I can get one, or even know the specs so I can make one. Other setups have this pill, so there are some out there. an 02-07 Subaru WRX for instance has this same setup, but I don't want to go putting in a pill that either won't give optimal performance or will overboost.
    Any help is appreciated.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Use a manual boost controller in place of the restrictor .... Macsboost may have a pill hose for ya.

+1
    I'm not against a MBC, seems I can get a decent one for $30-$40. Do I also need to permanently install a boost gauge to tune it? Can I just use a pressure gauge system temporarily to turn it in to the right setting then forget it? Just looking for stock performance and reliability.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    You can install a boost gauge or keep adjusting it till you get over boost alarm then back off boost a hair......stock should run 11-12psi....if you have a macs boost fooler you can get a additional #2 psi......talk to jfixaudio he has alternatives to the macsboost

+1
    I ordered a manual boost controller. Thanks to Amazon prime it will be here tomorrow. God I love that. What is the best way to plumb it? Just replace the 1 inch line that had the pill with this, while leaving the boost control solenoid in place downline? I'll start at stock, but may play a little after that with resistors and the like.

Thread Information