Towing Older 2-Strokes

Is there a good thread on this or a sticky?

We got rope around the shaft and I was reluctant to tow it back to the dock b/c I've heard horror stories about engines filling with water when they're towed.

Anybody got the full story on what happens and how to prevent damage?

Thanks!!

+1
    Any ski can get damaged by being towed... But if you keep it nice and slow you will not get an issue, basically if you tow fast enough the tunnel pressurises and in turn the pump which then pushes water through the cooling system. Ultimately the cooling water ends up in the exhaust and fills the water box. If you get towed for long enough at speed the waterbox will fill and begin to fill the rest of the exhaust system until it reaches the engine...

To prevent this you just have to clamp the in coming water line, this will prevent any water being pushed round the system.

Or if you don't have far to be towed just get towed at idle back to the ramp..

R88

Ok cool - thanks for the explanation. Do some people put a shut-off valve in-line? I knew water got in the exhaust some how - I had my kid stuff a rag in the exhaust hose for the tow ride in.

+1
    Stuffing rag in exhaust would only serve to keep water in, not letting it drain out. You can fit a tow valve on the incoming water line, or carry vice grips or hose pincher in case you have to tow someone else in

Thread Information