Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 GP1200R plugs and gap setting

Hi all,
    this is kind of a newb question, but what plugs and gap do you recommend for my 2000 GP1200R with the following info:
    D plate cat removal, hi flow exaust (metal tube), hole shot, Riva flame arrestors, Concord impeller 13/19, 119 hours. Compression is 120 all 3 cylinders.

I previously ran iridium plugs, but didn't feel much difference, so I went back to the current new NGK BR8ES plugs.

Thank you for any suggestions

Also, my current yet to be installed BR8ES plugs are not -11's, which I had previously installed per the manual. They don't have a number after the BR8ES. Can I still use them? What gap should I set these non -11's at if I can use them?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Samson77 View Post
    Also, my current yet to be installed BR8ES plugs are not -11's, which I had previously installed per the manual. They don't have a number after the BR8ES. Can I still use them? What gap should I set these non -11's at if I can use them?

Thank you
    Check the Group K site for more accurate info, but you really should be running the 11's. The reason is the gap on the pv1200 (and 1300) is about .045 which is large compared to a regular plug and gap for the 800's, 760's etc.. (which are somewhere around .025). And so what that means is the 11's have a longer electrode arm to handle the angle of the bend-to-electrode ratio so that it's parallel to it. Bending a ES plug would put it out of parallel and apparently not as good of a spark as a result... .

Ok thank you very much Jim

+1
    The -11 stands for "wide gap" and most -11s come preset to .044".

You can use your standard plugs just gap to .044"

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    The -11 stands for "wide gap" and most -11s come preset to .044".

You can use your standard plugs just gap to .044"
    With all due respect, are you sure you want to tell folks to use a plug that's not recommended by both fellow tuner's (groupK) and go against the original design intent from the manufacturer? The 1200 is a bit hard to start anyway and the 11 is a better constructed plug with a solid insulator cap.
    Sorry but I have to call you out on that one because I'm concerned about misinformation on this or any forum... .

+1
    Run what you like, but I and many others have run a crap load of BR8ES and BR9ES plugs regapped to specs with zero problems. The BR9ES is a colder spark plug and we use them with higher compression applications... they dont come in the -11s, so they get regapped.

As far as spreading misinformation... I only post info and procedures that I have personally performed

8. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Run what you like, but I and many others have run a crap load of BR8ES and BR9ES plugs regapped to specs with zero problems. The BR9ES is a colder spark plug and we use them with higher compression applications... they dont come in the -11s, so they get regapped.

As far as spreading misinformation... I only post info and procedures that I have personally performed
    ...yeah certainly get that with respect to running the br9's. However, according to his post, he's not running higher compression

I have used both on my 1200 xlt, and never felt a difference in performance or starting. most auto parts suppliers usually stock the br8es and would have to order the -11. All 4 of our ski's take br8es.
    Unless you are in competitive drag racing, I don't think you would ever see or feel the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by pantherdawg View Post
    I have used both on my 1200 xlt, and never felt a difference in performance or starting. most auto parts suppliers usually stock the br8es and would have to order the -11. All 4 of our ski's take br8es.
    Unless you are in competitive drag racing, I don't think you would ever see or feel the difference.
    FYI from Harry's site:

About Spark Plugs – Unlike most other pwcs, the GPR/XL has very high output ignition capable of firing a spark across a .044” plug gap. This larger plug gap is a big asset to the performance of this engine. The spark plugs used in the GPR/XL are a NGK BR8ES-11. These plugs are the same as the more common BR8ES in every way … but one. These “11” series plugs have a ground electrode with a different radius bend that allows for an accurate .044” gap. If you try to gap a conventional BR8ES to .044”, the ground post will be bent in a way that does not allow for consistent firing. If you have a GPR/XL, use the “11” series plugs gapped to .044”.

...of course do what you wish, I personally would not recommendt he br8es's. Take care.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information