New Guy - Need advice on a 2004 Yamaha Waverunner

Hey guys, totally new to the PWC world but I am in the market for a project ski. I am looking at a 2004 Yamaha Waverunner FX1000 (which is my first question, I can't seem to find that as an actual model number anywhere) that doesn't run for $1250 asking price. I haven't looked at it physically yet so I don't have a lot of details except that the seller says that it ran in 2012, but then wouldn't turn over in 2013 or this year. I have no idea how easy/hard it will be to work on this ski or what the common problems are. Any suggestions or thoughts? Even just what kind of questions to ask to help determine what the problem might be before I make any purchase. Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DS3 View Post
    Hey guys, totally new to the PWC world but I am in the market for a project ski. I am looking at a 2004 Yamaha Waverunner FX1000 (which is my first question, I can't seem to find that as an actual model number anywhere) that doesn't run for $1250 asking price. I haven't looked at it physically yet so I don't have a lot of details except that the seller says that it ran in 2012, but then wouldn't turn over in 2013 or this year. I have no idea how easy/hard it will be to work on this ski or what the common problems are. Any suggestions or thoughts? Even just what kind of questions to ask to help determine what the problem might be before I make any purchase. Thanks!
    Most likely it is a FX140 (998cc engine)
    http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/2004...10218068/Specs

2004 FX140 - FX1000C

2004 FX140 - FX1000CC
    2004 FX140 - FX1000AC
    2004 FX140 - FX1000ACC
    http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...004/parts.html

Last edited by Hot_Water; 08-11-2014 at 08:40 PM.

+1
    I can't remember all the models they offered, but my first guess would be the FX 140, or the FX HO. They were recognized as very dependable 4 strokes, but you would have to consider how many hours it has on it (?) and always determine the problem before you pull the trigger. Could be something as simple as a battery or could be an expensive nightmare (4 strokes have lots of expensive parts).

Unfortunately without a warranty these PWC are like a box of chocolates; some are babied by adults but many of them are abused by teenagers. You have to be very cautious choosing a ski that has been used in salt water; you never know if they were properly flushed after use.

The price is good if you can get it running; and of course the big question; do you have a viable engine. Start with the simple stuff; battery, plugs, fresh fuel, maybe pay a local shop a few bucks to give you an inspection, compression checks would probably be a good idea. Here are some links with specs on 2004 models...

http://www.personalwatercraft.com/sp...eg-fx/140.html

http://www.jetski.com/article.cfm?id=278

+1
    Where are you located? Where was the ski used?

Thanks for the replies.

The ski currently has around 275 hours on it. I have no idea how well maintained it has been since I have not had a chance to look at it yet.

I am in Maryland and I'm guessing it has been mostly used in the Chesapeake Bay (generally fresh to brackish water) though I have not actually asked the owner that question.

+1
    If the motor won't crank, it's very likely to be a bad wear ring. Salt/brackish water use causes the wear ring to warp and lock up the engine. It's an easy and inexpensive repair.

Of course, without being able to test it, you're gambling that there are no other problems with the ski. But for that price, it's well worth the gamble.

Thread Information