Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1995 SLT 750, Worth Buying for 1st Ski ??

Newbie here, looking at this 1995 SLT 750 right now with trailer, water skis, new tow rope for new Air head tube for the kids, new battery this year. All for $1500 ?? Very clean engine bay, fired right up , runs great,garage kept for many years, only mechanical issues known is the reverse cable is broke and needs repair, and the MFD malfunctions quite often and he just been hitting the button to silence it for the past couple years? And the display LED on it is horrible...I live a couple miles from a lake and have a 7 yr old that now wants to get into it so was hoping this could be a good starter ski for the both of us??

Any tips/recommendations is much appreciated

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2186.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	338569  
    Last edited by K447; 08-31-2014 at 06:31 PM.

That is a great starter ski it looks to be in pretty good shape the reverse cable is an easy fix, and the mfd always goes out and are cheap. the only thing is the stock fuel pumps are terrible and cause the pistons to run lean and needs to be upgraded to a triple output fuel pump which is about 30$ but after that its a great ski... The last thing is the price that seems pretty steep those skis are all over in socal for about 500$ you could buy a virage for that price..

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk! Lots to read here: Http://PolarisPWCknowledge.shorturl.com Especially the section named "Thinking about buying a jetski, any tips?"

Water test it if at all possible. Skis can run fine on the trailer and not at all in the water once there is load on the motor. Check the compression on all three cylinders.

Banned User
    +1
    Thats not a terrible price with all of the extras included.

MFD's always go out on them. never seen a cheap replacement though.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by roadking00 View Post
    Newbie here, looking at this 1995 SLT 750 right now with trailer, water skis, new tow rope for new Air head tube for the kids, new battery this year. All for $1500 ??

Very clean engine bay, fired right up , runs great,garage kept for many years, only mechanical issues known is the reverse cable is broke and needs repair, and the MFD malfunctions quite often and he just been hitting the button to silence it for the past couple years?

And the display LED on it is horrible...I live a couple miles from a lake and have a 7 yr old that now wants to get into it so was hoping this could be a good starter ski for the both of us??

Welcome

My guess is that the fuel float in the fuel tank sender no longer floats and the Low Fuel warning is triggering. Replacement float is available new, not hard to repair.

The oval MFD digits often become faded. We have posted a how-to repair guide for the MFD that restores full contrast and readability to the display. Most repair attempts seem to be successful, if care is taken.

Even though the machine seems to be running well, this does not mean you can forgo the recommended maintenance and certain upgrades. It looks like the original fuel selector valve is present and the original flame arrestor with down turned rubber inlet. I would expect the original fuel pump may also be present. The fuel:water separator may need new o-rings. These things and perhaps others should be serviced or upgraded with new.

Other areas that may need attention are the jet pump and the through-hull bearing.

The key to having a reliable older watercraft of any brand is to actually inspect and maintain, do not wait until a problem actually occurs. You can avoid or greatly reduce the risk of being stranded on the water or having an expensive mechanical failure if you do the maintenance work up front.

See my signature links for more detailed info.
    Last edited by K447; 08-12-2014 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetski4ever View Post
    That is a great starter ski it looks to be in pretty good shape the reverse cable is an easy fix, and the mfd always goes out and are cheap. the only thing is the stock fuel pumps are terrible and cause the pistons to run lean and needs to be upgraded to a triple output fuel pump which is about 30$ but after that its a great ski... The last thing is the price that seems pretty steep those skis are all over in socal for about 500$ you could buy a virage for that price..
    Thanks for the reply, I figured the cable would be simple , but that MFD is pretty pricey for a low hour replacement on ebay....But as mentioned below fixable thread somewhere...all the upgrades needed are doable and plan on going over the whole ski this winter if I get it , I didn't think the price was too bad (especially for a lake community area and with all that comes with it)? Not really sure what model a virage is ?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk! Lots to read here: Http://PolarisPWCknowledge.shorturl.com Especially the section named "Thinking about buying a jetski, any tips?"

Water test it if at all possible. Skis can run fine on the trailer and not at all in the water once there is load on the motor. Check the compression on all three cylinders.
    Thanks for the link, will be doing tons of reading/research, seems like a great forum and alot of activity and knowledgeable folks...The ski is actually a co-workers father in-laws and up till last week still used it often with his grand-daughters so I do know in fact it runs well and will be taking it out next week sometime for a test ride.The hard part will be keeping the ride quite from my 7 yr old....

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Thats not a terrible price with all of the extras included.
    My thoughts exactly, and grandpa has kept good care of it over the years he has owned it

Quote Originally Posted by indy440 View Post
    MFD's always go out on them. never seen a cheap replacement though.
    Yeah, they are pretty pricey on ebay for any of them that are still good....

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by roadking00 View Post
    Newbie here, looking at this 1995 SLT 750 right now with trailer, water skis, new tow rope for new Air head tube for the kids, new battery this year. All for $1500 ??

Very clean engine bay, fired right up , runs great,garage kept for many years, only mechanical issues known is the reverse cable is broke and needs repair, and the MFD malfunctions quite often and he just been hitting the button to silence it for the past couple years?

And the display LED on it is horrible...I live a couple miles from a lake and have a 7 yr old that now wants to get into it so was hoping this could be a good starter ski for the both of us??

Welcome

My guess is that the fuel float in the fuel tank sender no longer floats and the Low Fuel warning is triggering. Replacement float is available new, not hard to repair.

The oval MFD digits often become faded. We have posted a how-to repair guide for the MFD that restores full contrast and readability to the display. Most repair attempts seem to be successful, if care is taken.

Even though the machine seems to be running well, this does not mean you can forgo the recommended maintenance and certain upgrades. It looks like the original fuel selector valve is present and the original flame arrestor with down turned rubber inlet. I would expect the original fuel pump may also be present. The fuel:water separator may need new o-rings. These things and perhaps others should be serviced or upgraded with new.

Other areas that may need attention are the jet pump and the through-hull bearing.

The key to having a reliable older watercraft of any brand is to actually inspect and maintain, do not wait until a problem actually occurs. You can avoid or greatly reduce the risk of being stranded on the water or having an expensive mechanical failure if you do the maintenance work up front.

See my signature links for more detailed info.
    Thanks a bunch for the links and your thoughts about the fuel tank float, I will try to figure out which upgrades are needed and address most if not all over the winter months, inspect and maintain I can do, just need to read a bunch first and get all learned up on this stuff (which I enjoy doing anyhow) and yes I agree PM's are key to anything mechanical/electrical. Hopefully the how to repair fix for the MFD will be successful for me as well....

I look forward to all the additional info/learning from this forum and let all know how the test ride goes and if I actually join the PWC owners group....

Thanks again to ALL....
    Last edited by K447; 08-12-2014 at 10:26 PM.

+1
    That ski has the round mfd. Be very careful cutting it open. I only know of one person who has done this successfully.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    That ski has the round mfd. Be very careful cutting it open. I only know of one person who has done this successfully.
    Me too

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    Me too
    Who's that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information