Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1200 tx rebuilt engine wont run????

hey guys in need of some help here. We have a 01 polaris virage 1200 tx. we have recently rebuilt the engine, installed the engine back into the hull on Saturday and got it struck up almost straight away but was fouling the plugs and just not running very well. we thought this was down to the old fuel. over the last couple of days we have drained the old fuel and replaced with new. here is some info

compression is fine
    spark is strong
    we installed a aftermarket crank seal kit, which didn't look right to me. Could this be the problem if sucking air from the crank??
    sometimes after turning for a while and I mean awhile it will eventually start but again run rough and thows out a lot of smoke!
    it backfires quiet a lot attempting to start it.

Any help on this would be great! thanks in advance guys

Bad crank seal would cause the engine to run really rough. Can't say for certain that's your issue but it's definitely a place to start.

thanks for the quick reply salt life, while the engine was running I noticed some smoke coming out of the crank (no drive shaft installed at the time) I wasn't sure on this so called crank seal we put in :/ I was really hoping we didn't have to pull the engine out again but from some research and your reply looks like were going to have too. is there anything else I should be looking out for?

never seen one leak bad enough to blow smoke out

engine is now back on the bench, looking at the seals where the crank exits looks ok too me. going to tear the engine down and inspect. Any advice on rebuilding the engine for the second time?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloughy17 View Post
    engine is now back on the bench, looking at the seals where the crank exits looks ok too me. going to tear the engine down and inspect.

Any advice on rebuilding the engine for the second time?
    Use genuine Polaris crank seals, not generic. The Polaris seals are high quality.

See my signature links for info on using a Polaris snowmobile seal with Teflon as one of the pair of rear seals.

If your engine has the old style single rear crank seal you can upgrade to the dual rear seal arrangement.

Make sure the crank case itself is true. If you can feel a ridge where the bearings seat then the crank case may need to be line bored.

hey k447 thanks for the reply, I don't know if you remember but I had a no spark issue with a 700 virage. apologies for not getting back to you regarding that thread but it turns out a new cdi fixed the problem. anyway yes the crank seal we used was the dual ones what go back to back. we have found the problem now the engine is on the bench. we seem to be missing the keyway which the fly wheel should sit on, correct me if iam wrong but this will throw the timing off and is the cause of are problem??

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloughy17 View Post
    hey k447 thanks for the reply, I don't know if you remember but I had a no spark issue with a 700 virage. apologies for not getting back to you regarding that thread but it turns out a new cdi fixed the problem.

anyway yes the crank seal we used was the dual ones what go back to back. we have found the problem now the engine is on the bench. we seem to be missing the keyway which the fly wheel should sit on, correct me if I am wrong but this will throw the timing off and is the cause of are problem??
    So update that old thread with the conclusion Sometimes people find the old threads when searching for repairs for the same model they have. Always nice to have the end story included in the thread.

Incorrect flywheel timing will cause the engine to not run or not run properly. Blowing smoke out the rear seal suggests the timing was off enough for ignition fire to reach down into the crank case. Inspect those shaft seals carefully for heat damage. Not just the rear crank seals, also the front shaft seal in the flywheel housing. Or just replace them. Or gamble that the seals survived the ordeal...

Use a genuine Polaris woodruff key as they are hardened metal.

ill be sure to update the old thread I guess this would explain why when we first dropped the engine back in t started relatively easily. I know recall the starter motor or something else getting stuck and the engine was not turning properly. We just thought the battery was getting low, now iam thinking that this was the when it destroyed the key. The backfires started after this, but like I said we was convinced it was due to bad petrol. will hopefully be putting the engine in tomorrow so I will let you guys know, fingers crossed she purrs like a kitten

If you saw smoke coming from the crank then I'm almost certain it's the crank seal....I had mine blow out on me and the engine bay would fill with smoke....It's possible you might've installed them backwards or something?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information