Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Diagnosis 101 - help please...

I've got a 2006 GTX Limited 215 with 40 total hours on it that went into limp mode after several days of running great in fresh water. Charger rebuilt by Jerry 22 hrs ago right after I bought the ski at 19 hrs. Please walk me through the diagnostic steps. Are there fault codes that appear on the instrument cluster that I could access? Do I need a Candoo? What do I do first?

My initial plan was to first do the two finger test on the SC to rule that in or out. Then I'll pull the plugs and see what I get (hopefully not beat to a pulp by an intake valve). What next? Ski ran great then not. No poor performance in between. No beeps. Just won't go over 15mph.

+1
    what code did it throw...if it went into limp mode there should be a code flashed across bottom of the dash...If the code has disapeared then you may need a candoo ro a BUDs system to retrieve them

3. +1 by:

+1
    Yes do you know for sure it went into "Limp Mode" from the dash or are you assuming so because it wont exceed 15mph?>

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by surfcitypops View Post
    I've got a 2006 GTX Limited 215 with 40 total hours on it that went into limp mode after several days of running great in fresh water. Charger rebuilt by Jerry 22 hrs ago right after I bought the ski at 19 hrs. Please walk me through the diagnostic steps. Are there fault codes that appear on the instrument cluster that I could access? Do I need a Candoo? What do I do first?

My initial plan was to first do the two finger test on the SC to rule that in or out. Then I'll pull the plugs and see what I get (hopefully not beat to a pulp by an intake valve). What next? Ski ran great then not. No poor performance in between. No beeps. Just won't go over 15mph.
    Charger or a dropped valve will not cause limp mode, run like crap yes, but not limp mode.
    Like Sno said, you need to find the code.

6. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by XDAILY View Post
    Yes do you know for sure it went into "Limp Mode" from the dash or are you assuming so because it wont exceed 15mph?>
    Unfortunately, I wasn't there to see it. I was told it went into limp mode but cannot confirm. Was also told nobody saw any codes flash. I'm going to have to fire it up on the hose for a half a minute and see what I get.

+1
    Unfortionatly with the info provided we will be chasing our tials with possibel limp mode/codes,possibly not limp mode/codes....If you can try to confirm if indeed it threw a code....I would definatly find a candoo or buds system before anything...it never hurts to hook one up once and awhile to see what the ski is/has been doing....ANd IF its not in limp mode then I would look underneath at the prop/pump area for debris,next try a new set of plugs ..BUT first make sure that there was no codes..

+1
    don't know about your year ski but when mine was in Limp Mode it scrolled "Limp Mode Home" across the dash, made a constant beep and had 2 lights (one red and one orange) lit up on the dash.

+1
    Any unusual noises or vibrations? Remove the air intake tube on the charger and try to turn the wheel by finger.....if it turns easily you found the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    Any unusual noises or vibrations? Remove the air intake tube on the charger and try to turn the wheel by finger.....if it turns easily you found the problem.
    Yeah, that's the first thing I'm gonna do. I'm dreading it, although I have reason to believe it's not the SC because Jerry just overhauled the damn thing not 20 hours ago.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by surfcitypops View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    Yeah, that's the first thing I'm gonna do. I'm dreading it, although I have reason to believe it's not the SC because Jerry just overhauled the damn thing not 20 hours ago.
    Even if the SC was gone, you would go faster than 15mph. When the SC went in my 05 RXT, I limped back to the dock at about 40mph.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information