Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thinking about buying a pair of Virage 1200 TX skis, questions inside...

Hey everyone, I stumbled across a guy selling a twin pair of Virage TX 1200 skis last night and have been reasearching them since.

The units have around 120 hours on them and look fairly clean from the pics I was sent, however there is a problem. The seller contacted me this morning after he discovered that someone had stolen the complete ignition box assembly from one of the skis. From what I gather the entire sealed box with the cdi, coils, regulator, starter solenoid etc is missing.

Could anyone direct me to a wrecker that may have this assembly available? I called my usual parts guy at my local polaris dealer and apparently many of the parts are no longer available from polaris, not a surprise.

I may go look at the skis tonight and do a compression test and scope the cylinders out, is there anything else I should be on the lookout for on these machines?

It sounds like the seller wants out of these two machines, hes asking 6500 for the pair including a 2 year old two place trailer. I think that would be fair if both ran but i'm a bit concerned on what its going to cost to put the one back together.

Any insight or advice is welcome, thanks for reading.

Tony

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Running hours is less important than actual condition on any brand older watercraft.

Complete electrical systems including wire harness are typically available from parted out machines. You may have to source the actual CDI ignition module separately as this is the most valuable part in the electrical box, and the Virage CDI is usable in many other Polaris models.

The model year is important. Virage changed some parts depending on the model year. 2001 and earlier has PERC electric reverse. Virage 2002 onwards has manual reverse (my preference).

CDI also changed to a High Start version (to match a change in flywheel base timing) in later model years, the details can be found via my signature links.

There is a lot to inspect and check on any used watercraft, my signature links can provide a good starting point.

Beyond the inspections, my advice is to do the recommended maintenance and internal inspections on each watercraft before you start riding them. Until you inspect you will not know whether there are issues, even if it appears to be running properly at the moment.
    Last edited by K447; 08-12-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Thanks for the reply.

Im reading through your links now. Can you direct me to a reputable wrecker who might have parts for these units? I have found some on ebay but have never had very good luck with stuff like this on there.

You mentioned that other models may share a similar CDI, any idea which ones?

If I get a chance to go look at these machines tonight I will confirm a few things, model year and the sellers "near mint" condition.

What I need to do is find out some solid pricing on the missing parts and anything else the skis might need to be reliable machines.

Tony

+1
    Where are you located? You are going to have the best luck on Craigslist or on Ebay........

This site is good for cross referencing part numbers.... http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTony View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Fixed. Thanks
    What did I miss up there? ^^^^
    Nothing important....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Thanks for the reply.

Im reading through your links now. Can you direct me to a reputable wrecker who might have parts for these units? I have found some on ebay but have never had very good luck with stuff like this on there.

You mentioned that other models may share a similar CDI, any idea which ones?

If I get a chance to go look at these machines tonight I will confirm a few things, model year and the sellers "near mint" condition.

What I need to do is find out some solid pricing on the missing parts and anything else the skis might need to be reliable machines.

Tony
    Solid pricing

Going from memory, a new CDI kit is about $600 full price from SBT. Good used should be less, if you can find.

Wire harness and electrical box maybe $100+

If it was me I would be doing carburetor rebuilds on all six carbs. Call it $200 per engine.

Assume it needs $200 in other parts, perhaps start solenoid, jet pump bearings and seals, etc.

+1
    Did you buy them? I'd wait until they were in my garage so I can accurately figure out what was missing before getting too involved in searching for parts.

So someone just stole the ebox? What? Did they just cut all the wire coming out of it (a lot) and run? Dang...

$6500 w/ trailer... trailers is $1000... so $5500 for 2 Virage TX's... seems high... unless they are pristine with maintenance. But now one is deadweight... missing an ebox... which is expensive... so definitely worth much less now. Offer $4000 for the whole package.

Cheers!

Thanks guys.

Im located in Alberta Canada, made a few phone calls to the guys in deal with in the sled world up here and might be able to track down some parts locally. Time will tell I guess.

What I'm starting to see is that I will have to pick these skis up cheaper than 6500 if I want to make them worth my while.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    Did you buy them? I'd wait until they were in my garage so I can accurately figure out what was missing before getting too involved in searching for parts.

So someone just stole the ebox? What? Did they just cut all the wire coming out of it (a lot) and run? Dang...

$6500 w/ trailer... trailers is $1000... so $5500 for 2 Virage TX's... seems high... unless they are pristine with maintenance. But now one is deadweight... missing an ebox... which is expensive... so definitely worth much less now. Offer $4000 for the whole package.

Cheers!
    The seller says it looks like everything was just unplugged, I will have to see for myself.

I agree with you though, 4k for the whole package seems about the max I think I can pay for them.

Tony

+1
    The seller says it looks like everything was just unplugged, I will have to see for myself.

I agree with you though, 4k for the whole package seems about the max I think I can pay for them.

Tony
    If it was all unplugged, it was likely "stolen" for another ski. Like the one next to it...... Just sayin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information