Will running the bilge pump while on the water hurt anything?

I recently purchased a 2001 Polaris Virage, I took it out on Saturday and Sunday and ran it with no problems, it ran great! Monday when I went back out my brother forgot to put the plugs in and we forgot to turn the fuel on and ran the battery low. Because the plugs were left out water was in the compartment under the seat, therefore I ran the bilge pump while on the water. Would this have hurt anything? The jet ski wasn't wanting to start but i believe this is due to not having spark because the battery wasn't providing the required voltage. I was just wanting someone who has a little more experience than I do to give their opinion on running the bilge pump while on the water. Thanks!

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

The bilge is designed to perform just that task, so there shouldn't be any issue with it. You will want to be sure that the motor didn't ingest any water. If so, this needs to be addressed immediately....

Are you saying you rand the battery low by trying to start the ski without turning the fuel on?

The low battery is likely the culprit of no spark, just make sure the motor does not have water in it before moving forward!!

+1
    Sounds like the bilge pump did its job as expected otherwise you'd have a submarine on your hands.
    If the engine didn't get submerged and it was running, your probably just fine.
    Bilge pumps do run when the ski is running... too much water... pump it out.

Pull the battery and charge it fully. Pump, drain dry out the hull insides. Then reinstall and
    go have some fun *with the plug IN* this time.

Also change your system checklist before every ride to include the drain plug, first check and then the last check.
    Safety first!

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk!

Don't feel too bad... we've all forgotten or know folks who have forgotten to put in the drain plugs before launching.

How deep did the water get under the seat? I'm assuming the water level never got up over the carbs...

The bilge pump is designed to run all the time while the engine is running... but can also be run with the engine off. So, you running the bilge to get the water out even though you couldn't get it started didn't hurt anything... other than to draw some power out of your tired battery. But getting the water out of a flooded hull is worth draining a battery in my opinion (since you couldn't get it started).

I'm assuming it's back on the trailer and all the water is out now? I'd pull the battery and charge it back up... then pull the spark plugs and crank the engine over a few times to ensure it's all spinning properly... maybe squirt a little 2-stroke oil in the plug holes to help lube up the cylinders. And I'd get it started as soon as you can to ensure it runs and to dry out any water that got in places it shouldn't be.

Depending how deep the water got... don't forget to check the electrical box. These "sealed" boxes aren't always so watertight and some water in there can cause issues. Also, the flywheel cover is sealed but could also get water in there... which will just sit in there and corrode the flywheel and such.

Cheers!

Yes the battery was ran low trying to start without fuel on. And The engine was never submerged in the water, the water was just in the bottom of the hull. We caught that the plugs ere out quickly after we put the ski in the water. Thanks for your help!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    ... we've all forgotten or know folks who have forgotten to put in the drain plugs before launching.

How deep did the water get under the seat?

Yep, it is almost a tradition

Good advice in this thread. Take the spark plugs out and crank the engine to confirm there is no water inside the engine.

Then start it on land and run it for about 30 seconds to confirm it runs and allow it to warm up internally. Even better is to run it on the water and go for a brisk ride to ensure the engine internals are fully dried out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by minniepolaris View Post
    We caught that the plugs ere out quickly after we put the ski in the water.
    I bet you did!!!!

Thread Information