Wave Venture 760 slow acceleration (Cavitation?)

I bought a 97 Wave Venture 760 for a few hundred bucks a few weeks back (some assembly required :P), finally got it on the water this past weekend, choked the engine for a few seconds and started right up. Idled out a bit from the shore, gave it gas and went no where. I could hear the engine winding up and sounding like it was running at top speed, while I was going about 5 mph. After messing around with it a bit (easing on the throttle, waiting through the slowness), I was able to get up on a plane and get it riding smooth, but only about 20mph (according to the speedo). I've been looking around and think its a cavitation issue, but the ski is 2hrs away at my buddies house (I have asked him to take some pics of the impeller/ring from the tunnel and nozzle sides). I was looking at possible replacements, and have found some used pumps on ebay that are tempting, but I'm not sure about the driveshaft size. I was looking at pumps from various models (listed below), do I need to change anything (drive shaft couplers, etc) for one of these to work in my 760?

97 Wave Venture 1100
    98 XL760 (I think they are the same)
    ?? GP760
    94 Wave Raider 701

I will be primarily using the ski for pulling a wakeboard (and occasional tube).

Anyone? :/

Here's a pic of the pump.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-08-14.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	338877

+1
    Looks to be in very bad shape. The clearance between the impeller blades and the wear-ring appears (judging only from pic obviously) to be excessive. The leading edges of the impeller look less than ideal too.

Also, what is the huge ledge on the bottom where the liner meets the ramp?
    Last edited by CrazyA; 08-16-2014 at 04:25 AM.

I may have found a problem, I'm pretty sure there isn't supposed to be holes in my intake duct :P I'm sourcing a new one at the moment.

Name:	IMG_2542[1].jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	339222Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2543[1].jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	339223

The clearance was around .6mm on the leading edge getting tighter as you come in closer to the drive shaft. It got to a point that .3mm was to tight. There is a small amount of cavitation wear/burn on the blades close the drive shaft (I'll post pics of that this evening). The edge of the impeller blades (the edge that faces the wear ring) is actually really smooth, but the leading edges are a little nicked up.

The ledge that you see is wear ring. It isn't flush with the intake grate (which is missing 3 of the 4 bars, and they weren't ground down to be smooth).

Here is a picture of the cavitation wear/burn. I am thinking about putting some JB weld and sanding it smooth.

Name:	IMG_7898 copy.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	339235

Tomorrow, I'm going to put the wear ring back on and check the clearance one more time.

Ok, I checked the clearance and it is a bit strange. At the leading edge the clearance is .6mm, as you move along the edge of the blade it gets much tighter (less than .3mm). If you keep the feeler gauge in the same spot on the blade and spin the housing, you can feel it get tighter in some spots (to the point it won't move any more with the feeler gauge in there). I think I need a new wear ring, but I'm not sure what to make of the impeller still.

Installed the new intake duct this weekend. Seems to have solved my cavitation issues, but I'm having a carb issue (will start a new thread if I don't find any old threads related).

Thread Information