Rope in Intake - Removed but sounds a little different

2 x 2014 Yamaha VX Cruisers - First ride. Awesome until our trailering.

First - thanks to this forum I figured out how to do this. My wife and I were out for the first time today - and when getting ready to trailer we looked like total newbie's. One of our dock lines got in the water and her ski sucked it up and shut off. I pulled her in with my waverunner and all is well.

We got home and I took the intake grate off and removed the rope which was only around the shaft - not super tight but I had to cut it off. Its a 3\8 inch dock rope.

After I was all done I wanted to flush the motor as we were in salt water. It sounded a little different - like a tiny bit rattly. It ran fine - water came out the back and all when flushing. It just sounds a little different than mine. Think it could have damaged something or is that unlikely?

Thanks... looking forward to many hours of fun.

Steve

+1
    That's the prop hitting the wear ring............

+1 on prop hitting wear ring. If so, the stainless wear ring will grind your stainless prop down a bit and you will notice that the ski is sluggish coming out of the hole compared to the other ski.

I would guess prompt propshaft replacement will save you the trouble of replacing the propand wear ring. Sure sounds like a stainless on stainless situation to me.

I would think your just listening closer than before. You can use some feeler gauges to measure and see if it's hitting the wear ring anywhere. Does the other ski sound like that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyman15 View Post
    I would think your just listening closer than before. You can use some feeler gauges to measure and see if it's hitting the wear ring anywhere. Does the other ski sound like that one?
    It sounds a little different... but I never started that one until we were in the water. It basically sounds a tiny bit rattle-ee. Maybe I will post a vid of it tomorrow with sound. They are literally brand new and under warranty so I could take them in to the dealer but want to take them out this weekend on the water.

If I have time in the morning I will post a video with sound. You might not even be able to hear it in the video its that minor.

Quote Originally Posted by RIVERA RACING View Post
    Thanks RR - Where in Jersey are you? I am in South Jersey.. will be heading out in Brigantine most of the time until I get comfortable.

+1
    North Jersey....
    Quote Originally Posted by semills View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVERA RACING View Post
    Thanks RR - Where in Jersey are you? I am in South Jersey.. will be heading out in Brigantine most of the time until I get comfortable.

Rode them today.... they were fine. No issues at all... both skis were able to hit 57 and 58 mph on glass water with half tank of gas.

So i guess we got lucky!

Thanks guys!

Thread Information