05 GTX LTD Starter may need replacement, please advise.

Hey Guys,

2005 GTX Limited

SOUND LIKESTARTER REPLACEMENT REQUIRED TO YOU?

Problem: Initiallysounded like insufficient cranking power to start machine, now nothing but thedreaded click at the solenoid.

New Battery (2month's old) 2 long weekend runs on it, problem: insufficient cranking power tostart machine but did slowly turn over at end of last trip, charged battery overnight, seemed to take full charge 13.62V, had it load tested at a local autoparts store and it checked out A OK. Put it back in machine now engine wonít crank over at all just theclick when pressing start button.

Checked allwire/cable connections, fuses, and even tried jumping (bypassing the solenoid)with a screwdriver and still get nothing from the starter.

After my lasttrip. Meter read 12.7 volts and drew down to 9 when cranking before charging butmachine would not start up it sounded like battery was getting weaker, it did turnover slowly when cranking before battery was charged (Like a dead battery typecrank.) so thought maybe solenoid since they are a known problem, but afterjumping solenoid and still nothing from the starter Iím thinking starter may be shot. Any other ideas or tests I can run?

Battery terminals and cable connections were checked prior to removal andcharging - all were clean and tight before I pulled the battery out and after I put it back in.

I pulled the plugs and tried to start just to see if compression was too much to allow starter to spin the engine over but still nothing but the click.

Also worth noting: Right before the last two trips I had to have my SC replacedand engine pulled out and opened up to clean out the SC bits and pieces,replaced with a brand new x-model SC and 40# injectors. But I believe theproblem existed before then as I was having similar tough start symptoms and whatseemed like possibly charging issues before replacing the battery and SC (althoughI thought it was just a weak battery). The 1 year old battery I replaced before those last two trips didend up having a bad cell which may possibly be related to a charging issue I thought I might be having. I know sounds like Iíve got two issues going on butfirst things first. Anyone have any thoughts on the starter being my cranking problem?Any other ideas on what I can check before I order a new one? And any ideas on which one to get. Gotta do some work myself, supercharger replacement and engine clean out busted my budget...

FYI I alwaysdisconnect the battery and usually remove from machine when charging.

Anyway, any help provided will be much appreciated.

+1
    Sounds like a starter..

Hope you cleaned all the s/c bits..

Thanks for the reply.
    Yep, had it done at a reputable shop, it was well flushed before reassembly. Wasn't really impressed with the performance though, thought I would pick up some speed but just more fuel consumption...had the timing chain replaced as well.

+1
    I Second on the starter, just had 05 gtx 155hp (higher compression) with a new battery and solenoid would turn over slowly and sometimes crank and really draw the volts down. Replaced starter night/day difference. Edit.. try to spin your engine over by the pto, make sure it's not locked up

Will do xxx2. Thanks for the tip, was thinking of doing that tomorrow.

Update: replaced starter, a job requiring patience, but all worked out well and it appears it was the starter which I discovered had a dead spot, used an SBT starter and what a difference in starting from the stock! As xxx2 said night/day!

thanks again for the tips guys!

Thread Information