Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Engines vibrate, things can just fail

TLDR; Ficht ignition coil failed with open circuit primary, EMM trouble code 81
    Probable cause engine vibration and heat eventually became too much for the old coil.

Yesterday while on a long ride, working our way back to the ramp in heavy chop, the Check Engine warning and flashing red light appeared on my 2002 Virage TXi. Engine lost some power and was not responding to throttle in the normal snappy manner.

We were in a large open area with stiff winds and enough wave action to make looking under the seat not a good idea.

To make things more interesting the Low Fuel warning began flashing at about the same time. I was expecting that since the fuel level was getting down and a bouncy ride will trigger the low fuel warning.

Shut down and restart the engine, the Check Engine warning would reappear fairly quickly. No nasty mechanical sounds, just the warning indicator and reduced power. Decided to run it on plane at around 4000 RPM which was just enough speed to get me on top of the waves and lessen the spray over the bow.

Pounding all the way back to the launch ramp, it ran fairly consistently just with less power. Put it on the trailer, blipped the throttle to blow the excess water from the water box. It revved OK but not as readily as normal. I did not have tools with me nor did I feel there was any reason to tear into it in the parking lot.

Today I had a chance to diagnose. Fuel pressure was normal, compression looked normal enough.

Reading the EMM trouble codes with the simple LED code reader, it flashed codes 17 and 81.

Ficht code 17 happens fairly often and doesn't mean much unless it recurs after code clearing. It is warning of low voltage to the fuel injectors, which sometimes happens momentarily when the engine stumbles while cold, for example.

Code 81 indicates an open circuit in the ignition coil primary for the MAG cylinder. Sure enough an ohmmeter check at the ignition coil shows the secondary coil still has correct ohms but the primary side of the coil has no connection between the coil pin and the coil grounding tab. It should show a very low ohm reading.

Replace the ignition coil with a good used spare.

Clear the EMM trouble codes, then disconnect the service power jumper, reconnect EMM as normal.

Engine starts and revs nicely. Sounds much better.

Shut engine down, then reconnect and read trouble codes.
    LED flashes 1 1 which means no errors. All seems good again. Will water test when the weather allows.

Why did the ignition coil fail?

Well, engines vibrate, a lot. Engines get hot. They get wet. They get stored in the winter cold. Eventually parts get shaken or cooked beyond their limits and stuff fails.

On a red Ficht engine the ignition coils are bolted directly to the cylinder heads. So the coils have a tough life.

On the MSX 140 I note the ignition coils are on a metal bracket with rubber mountings which I presume reduce the vibration that actually gets to the coils.
    Last edited by K447; 08-14-2014 at 09:52 PM.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	338892
    A failed ignition coil looks just like a good coil.

+1
    Its missing the smoke.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Its missing the smoke.
    I think this one died with minimal magic smoke released.

Thread Information