Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    3

    VXR Speed Accurcy

    Hello, I'm new to the pwc sport and the site. Just bought a 2012 VXR this summer with 10hrs on it. I was wondering how accurate the speedometer is, I noticed on this site that top gains with aftermarket parts can give around 72 +- mph. I bought mine stock and I have been reading 71 - 72 mph @ sea level and flat calm. I was thinking about doing some upgrades but wanted to make sure my speedometer is accurate first.

    Cheers


  2. #2
    Will Willfzs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Posts
    566
    +1
    65
    Use a GPS app on your phone or check with a GPS (Garmin, etc.) stock Speedo is off as much as 5 mph or more.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    783
    +1
    29
    Remember, "search" is your friend.
    Get yourself a handheld GPS or at least the max speed app for your phone to come back to reality.

  4. #4
    1200 stx-r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NWCT
    Posts
    2,517
    +1
    200
    Welcome to greenhulk. Your factory speedo is not accurate. Stock in calm water u might be 67+/-. Plenty of diff apps for speed on your phone or get a hand or wrist held gps. Good luck with your ski it's a great machine but limited on speed.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Willfzs View Post
    Use a GPS app on your phone or check with a GPS (Garmin, etc.) stock Speedo is off as much as 5 mph or more.
    yup....my stocker speed says 81-83.....damn dont i wish that was true

  6. #6
    abracadabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wellington, FL United States of America
    Posts
    2,046
    +1
    180
    Welcome to the hulk!!!!

    Best PWC forum on earth. Here you will find everything you need to get to 72-74. Your main component will be a VTech ECU reflash service from Jerry who owns the site. After that you will do the typical intake/ exhaust mods.

    Good luck, Julio...

  7. #7
    abracadabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wellington, FL United States of America
    Posts
    2,046
    +1
    180
    Here is what to do. What not to do and everything in between, Julio...

    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...%27s+VXR+build

  8. #8
    95.4mph FZR FZeeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,810
    +1
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by 1200 stx-r View Post
    Welcome to greenhulk. Your factory speedo is not accurate. Stock in calm water u might be 67+/-. Plenty of diff apps for speed on your phone or get a hand or wrist held gps. Good luck with your ski it's a great machine but limited on speed.
    I plan on testing your theory of limited speed with custom intake/exhaust manifolds and test/tuning.

  9. #9
    95.4mph FZR FZeeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,810
    +1
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by nytro34 View Post
    Hello, I'm new to the pwc sport and the site. Just bought a 2012 VXR this summer with 10hrs on it. I was wondering how accurate the speedometer is, I noticed on this site that top gains with aftermarket parts can give around 72 +- mph. I bought mine stock and I have been reading 71 - 72 mph @ sea level and flat calm. I was thinking about doing some upgrades but wanted to make sure my speedometer is accurate first.

    Cheers
    Not accurate...My bone stock '14 vxr has hit 75mph numerous times in a light chop with strong current and wind...I know that's not the case...Probably high 60's. Buy a Garmin Etrex 10 handheld and test for yourself.

  10. #10
    1200 stx-r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NWCT
    Posts
    2,517
    +1
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeXR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1200 stx-r View Post
    Welcome to greenhulk. Your factory speedo is not accurate. Stock in calm water u might be 67+/-. Plenty of diff apps for speed on your phone or get a hand or wrist held gps. Good luck with your ski it's a great machine but limited on speed.
    I plan on testing your theory of limited speed with custom intake/exhaust manifolds and test/tuning.
    Good luck! Keep accurate notes and always try to test in similiar conditions with same fuel load. Post results and how much time and money u spend on custom stuff......i got a reflash for sale . Pm me

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ribbon delete 2015 vxr speed diffrnce
    By uk vxr2015 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-2016, 08:46 AM
  2. VXR speed
    By yamahama93 in forum Yamaha Old School Skis
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-27-2013, 09:25 PM
  3. VXR speed vs RXT-X 255
    By hancop in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 06-11-2013, 09:13 PM
  4. VXR and FZR speed limiter
    By brisyl in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-25-2011, 04:46 PM
  5. VXR speed mods
    By Flywheel in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-24-2011, 06:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •