Suercharger "Welded" to PTO

I had my seadoo mechanic remove my SC , and he said that it looks like it kind of "welded" itself to the inside of the PTO housing. He polished up the shaft of the supercharger and said everything else is good.

However, he was the one who installed the supercharger after my motor blew, and im wondering if he didnt lube it well enough. In an effort to try to have a valid argument for them to cover part of the bill for negligence on his part (theres only 20 hours on the motor since rebuild, not exactly a ton of use) - is there any evidence, or service bulletin, or anything of the like that links improper lubing of the shaft to this sort of problem?

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    The manual clearly states to use anti-seize on the charger surface where it goes into the PTO cover. If your charger was only in for 20 hours..... this obviously wasn't done. Most of whatever you put on it will get pushed out as the charger is installed.... but you'll still see it on the charger. If it's dry close to the rear cover..... you'll know that no anti-seize was put on it.

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRXP View Post
    The manual clearly states to use anti-seize on the charger surface where it goes into the PTO cover. If your charger was only in for 20 hours..... this obviously wasn't done. Most of whatever you put on it will get pushed out as the charger is installed.... but you'll still see it on the charger. If it's dry close to the rear cover..... you'll know that no anti-seize was put on it.
    IT definitely looked dry .... Im going to bring this up tomorrow as i even have a picture (although not very good) at the lack of grease on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRXP View Post
    The factory sure doesn't use anti-seize. All that I saw on mine on disassembly was blue grease, and a lot of it. I just scooped up some of the extra and used it to re-install.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Older manuals say anti-seize, newer ones say super lube grease. I guess the point is that something is needed. I still, and have always used anti-seize.... and have never had an issue getting a charger out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	338648 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	338649

Copper paste grease for me. High temperature, resilient grease which has never let me down. Also if scraped off when installing the SC, there is still a very thin layer remaining to protect against bonding. It's used on the back of car brake pads, so you know how tough that environment is.

+1
    I had a friend install his charger with grease applied, but was not 100% lined up and a burr was made. He removed the charger for inspection, but did not remove the burr. He thought he could shove it in there and it to loosen up-- got it in about another inch or so and he called me to help get it out-- 1.5 hours later we finally got it out-- this was a NEW x charger. If you don't install correctly, but use the correct parts, you can still have problems. I would suspect the person that installed the poster's charger did something similar to my friend (he has removed and replaced his chargers MANY times without issue-- he was in a hurry).

Mechanic told me he used wheel bearing grease (the dealer also does motorcycles) ... i called him out for not using the right stuff on the motor that i spent good money to replace with them...

Dealer ended up cutting the bill in half, parts included (oil and coolant)

Still sucks, but gotta take your lumps!

Thread Information