Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No spark

No spark

I have a 2004 Virage (carb), the main problem I started having was the battery going dead in a matter of two days (new battery). While running the engine I was checking to see is the battery was charging and the engine stopped and now there is no spark. I checked fuses and connections and tested the coil and that all seems fine. I don't know what else to check for, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The engine stopped running by itself? Was the electrical box opened up at the time?

When the engine is cranking what is the battery voltage?

Hold down the Bilge button. Do you now have spark?

Next step is to bypass the LR-505 Start/Stop module.

Yes, the engine stalled out when i was checking to see what it was charging at. I was using a mutimeter at the battery. The electical box was closed, cranking volts are about 11. I tried running the bilge pump and cranking and still no spark. I'll try bypassing that module and let you know the results.
    Thanks for the help!!

I bypassed the module and there was still no spark. I tried running the bilge pump again with the module bypassed and there was spark. I hook the module back up and tried the bilge pump and it sparks. What does that mean?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toblg79 View Post
    I bypassed the module and there was still no spark. I tried running the bilge pump again with the module bypassed and there was spark. I hook the module back up and tried the bilge pump and it sparks. What does that mean?
    It means the ignition system is probably OK.

The likely cause is a bad LR module which is not powering up the Orange wire that feeds the bilge pump, and the CDI.

When you press the Bilge button it overrides the LR module and forces battery power onto the Orange wires, and also to the CDI ignition module.

Check for battery voltage on the Yellow wires, with engine off. If Yellow has battery voltage then the LR is the probable issue.

I checked for power at the yellow wire with the engine off, there's no voltage there. Also going back to my original problem (battery going dead) I checked for the battery charging while running (mulimeter at the battery) and is not. Could all this maybe related to a bad stator? I tested the stator (from the electrical box and the connector) and the hall sensor and the readings were to spec.

+1
    I checked for power at the yellow wire with the engine off, there's no voltage there.

Also going back to my original problem (battery going dead) I checked for the battery charging while running (mulimeter at the battery) and is not.

Could all this maybe related to a bad stator?

I tested the stator (from the electrical box and the connector) and the hall sensor and the readings were to spec.
    Disconnect the stator wires Yellow and Red/Purple. Make sure you have the wires that go directly to the stator. These are the two ends of the stator charging coil.

Measure ohms between Yellow and Red/Purple stator wires. Should be very low ohms, almost zero. If open circuit or high ohms, the stator is bad or the wires are damaged.

If low ohms between the wires, next check between each stator charging coil wire end and engine ground. Should measure open circuit.

I tested the stator wires (the first tiime I tested it I had the wrong wires)
    From box:
    Yellow - Red/Purple 0.8
    Yellow - Ground 0.3
    Red/Purple - Ground 0.9

From connector
    Yellow - Red/Purple 1.1
    Yellow - Ground 0.7
    Red/Purple - Ground 1.2

+1
    I tested the stator wires (the first tiime I tested it I had the wrong wires)
    From box:
    Yellow - Red/Purple 0.8
    Yellow - Ground 0.3
    Red/Purple - Ground 0.9

From connector
    Yellow - Red/Purple 1.1
    Yellow - Ground 0.7
    Red/Purple - Ground 1.2
    If these are the correct wires then the battery would have a near short circuit to ground when everything was hooked up normally.

Are you sure you are measuring the ends of the two stator wires, which have been disconnected from everything else?

The battery was not hooked up and yes they are the stator wires and they were disconnected from everything else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information