Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Waverunner revving but not going

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and I am very happy to have found this site. I have a 2000 yamaha waverunner 1200 & it has been running great. The last time I took it out about three days ago it was running flawless. I just went to take it out, put in more gas & the ski is revving but not really driving. I got it up to about 15 miles per hour, but it has a vibration and drives as if a clutch was slipping on a car.

I hoisted it out of the water and the intake grate seems clear and I don't see anything out of the ordinary. I am fairly mechanical, but I don't know a lot about the mechanics of a waverunner.

Thanks in advance!

The prop more than likely has a stick or dock rope rapped around. Crawl underneath the ski on the back of it and check it.

Sometimes u can see it from looking up into the intake grate...if not you will have to pull the nozzle. Worst case is a stripped shaft.

Great, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I have a whole new set of problems.

I took off the intake grate and indeed found a stick in there. I assembled it back together and one of the screws stripped. I figured it would not be a problem to leave 3 out of four there, but I was wrong as the empty hole lets water into the engine compartment. Any ideas about how to replace this stripped screw?

Also, the ski is running better, I got it up to 38 mph, but there is still that slipping feeling when getting going, as if the ski was out of the water or the clutch on a car slipping. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Helicoil it or tap it up to the next size. If you have a Fastenal store around close they keep the Helicoil kits or order from grainger or McMaster Carr. Very common for these to strip.

slipping is cavitation which is normally caused by a prop that damaged or burnt up or ur wear ring is wore. Most likely it's ur wear ring. Inspect both for damage and clearance between the prop and the ring.

+1 On the wear ring to prop clearance being too great. Take a picture with flash inside the back side to the side of the cone so that we can see the prop edges. Sometimes it is even easy to see that the clearances is too much even in a photo.

Theheisk...good read with the stick man!

Thanks guys- I ordered a new aftermarket housing and wear ring from I hope this is a quality product? I am going to try the repair myself and save some $$. Thanks again!

Good deal. I probably should have advised u in my first reply about the common issue of the bolts stripping..... I think it crossed my mind but never made it to my keyboard. Anyways, once u get the ring replaced it will be a totally different ski. Good Luck

Oh yeah, how did the prop look?

The prop looks fine as far as I can tell, but I will inspect it better when I take it apart out of the water. As far as the stripped screw, I guess I will go to the hardware store and see if I can get a bigger bolt to put into the fiberglass?

OK guys- the new housing is installed and the stripped bolt fixed. There is however a large gap between the prop and the wear ring. I put it in the water and it is still 'slipping'. It works better when the trim is adjusted to have the nose all the way down & in the other settings it is max 10 mph. Any ideas? Do I need a new prop?

yes, you need a new prop. When the prop hits the waiter ring due to being out of balance or whatever the product is the thing that will wear down first and most. Replace it and it will go like a bat outta hell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information