Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

1994 purple hull WaveRaider jet pump rebuild?

The last time I took this ski out, it wasn't running good at all. Not only that, while running on the trailer it has been making a strange "tinging" sound coming from what I think is the jet pump. Thinking that maybe it was the impeller rubbing the wear ring, I sprayed the garden hose into the pump outlet but it didn't quiet the sound. Could it be the bearings? It's been making the noise for a while. On the water, I don't hear the noise at all.

I've owned the ski since brand new and I've never done any pump work. At 20 yrs old, it wouldn't surprise me if the pump needs work. I've got a service manual that I downloaded from the internet. I think that the instructions for removing the pump leave a lot to be desired. Can anyone give me some guidance on removing the pump and disassembling it? Thanks.

+1
    Some noise on the flush kit from the pump is normal. The steering nozzle makes noise vibrating. It's possible the pump bearings are bad after 20 years. How is your compression, carbs ever been rebuilt?

+1
    The "tinging" sound started last summer. Prior to that, I never heard it.

I haven't touched the carbs in years. The ski has been so reliable all these years but its running pretty poorly this summer. I know that it's time to dig into the carbs and more than likely, that will cure the problems that I've been having. I was in the carbs on one of my 1996 Sea Doo XP skis again and again last summer trying to get it running right. It shoudn't be a big deal for me to tear into these carbs and I just may do it before the weekend.

I'll check the compression on the ski tomorrow and post what I find.

+1
    I took two compression readings with a slightly warm engine, both plugs out and throttle held wide open. Average of 124 and 127 psi.

I disassembled both carbs and was surprised at how clean they were inside. I did get some sediment debris out of the pilot jet passage into the barrel of the carb when spraying it out with carb cleaner. The pilot and main jets themselves were clean.

Again, I was surprise to see that the needles and seats were good. I expected to see a worn ring around the needles and there was none. It was a good thing since I didn't have another set of 1.5 needles and seats. I've got some new 2.0. I did clean all of the parts as well as the carb bodies with cleaner and compressed air.

I tried to get some pop off readings but even at 45 psi, I couldn't get the needles to pop off the seats. I am running the stock FAs and air box so I assume the stock pop off is high but I couldn't find any numbers for this in my service manual.

I replaced some of the soft parts inside the carbs but I didn't have a pair of carb kits so I could only replace some of the parts and then I put everything back together.

It runs much better but still not perfect. Even on the trailer it sometimes wants to bog. I know in the water it'll fall flat on it's face. I did install brand new plugs and it helped some more but still not quite right.

At this point, I'm pretty frustrated. I fought for two summers to get one of my Sea Doo XPs running right and it looks like this Raider is wanting to follow in the XP's footsteps.

+1
    If you cleaned the internal fuel filters in the carbs and everything looked good in the carbs, I'm suspecting a broken reed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 97GPSLEEPER View Post
    If you cleaned the internal fuel filters in the carbs and everything looked good in the carbs, I'm suspecting a broken reed.
    I had brand new internal fuel filters so I replaced the old ones and everything else did look good.

You think its a broken reed. Is there anything that I should try/test/look for to confirm that it is a broken reed?

+1
    Just pull the intake manifold and visually inspect.

+1
    Do you have good spark on all cylinders?

+1
    Okay, pull the intake and have a look.

I've got good spark. I installed new spark plugs today gapped at .035" as per the service manual. The engine seemed to run a little better with the new plugs.

Today after all of the carb work, the engine was running and sounding just fine on the trailer at idle and even with some throttle. Much better than before the carb work. Most of the time when I'd blip the throttle everything was perfect. However, occasionally it would have a slight bog when I blipped the throttle. Not always, just some of the time. My fear is that if it's bogging on the trailer it doesn't stand a chance on the water.

+1
    You cant re use the carb gaskets

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information