+1

Check your exhaust clamps...near disaster

Went for a ride on my XL1200 Limited (wife's ski) Monday evening. Stopped by mom and dad's to have dinner and headed back across the lake to our place. It was getting close to sunset, so I did a few turns before taking it to the lift. I turned hard right and she bogged down. I lost a cylinder but it wasn't seizing. My first thought was carb issues (brother has an identical model and had to rebuild one that had gotten clogged). I nursed it back to the dock and took off the seat. The engine bay was half full of water! The exhaust coupler ring (the front one) had slid off, allowing the water in the pipe to slowly fill the engine bay. I had to put it back on in the dark, getting eaten alive by mosquitos, and open the drain plugs. Thankfully LT1GMC (Dad) took it out the next morning and rode out the water, and added some extra oil (I had to go back to work early). So, make sure you check those metal clamps. Apparently mine had vibrated off. Close call....

+1
    Same here... broken clamp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	338799  

+1
    I had that happen to me 5 or 6 times. I got sick of it so I got a silicone coupler from Vibrant, roughened up both sides of the exhaust with sandpaper, cleaned all the oil off with brake cleaner, and used some stainless t bolt clamps. For the pissed I ended up tapping the exhaust pipe just forward of the coupler. I have a Riva stinger but you get the idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140814_124114.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	338896  

Roughen up the exhaust with sand paper and use your better halfs hair spray... has a little bit of a gluing agent in it to keep that coupler glued on there.

Glad there wasn't much damage!

Funny to see this post because I just ran my venture in the driveway yesterday and noticed the rubber bellows expanding and shinking when revved. I removed the outer rubber to see the clamp was not even tight on the coupler. Tightened and all is well. almost sunk my ski two years ago from the exhaust bolts coming loose. I make sure every year to check everything.

Glad all is OK.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by dontknowcrap View Post
    Funny to see this post because I just ran my venture in the driveway yesterday and noticed the rubber bellows expanding and shinking when revved. I removed the outer rubber to see the clamp was not even tight on the coupler. Tightened and all is well. almost sunk my ski two years ago from the exhaust bolts coming loose. I make sure every year to check everything.

Glad all is OK.

Don

Yep...I agree. This would get my vote as a possible "Sticky". When I went over 150 psi on my 1300/heads my outer rubber coupling started to leak so bad water easily dripped down onto my aftermarket/open flame arrestor and almost stalled the ski and could have caused engine damage. Don't know for sure but surmised that going higher on cyl. head pressure created a higher internal cooling water flow pressure caused by the engine reving-up quicker and in-turn creating higher velocities at the pump...(?).

+1
    Good advice, my couple actually tore in the beginning of the summer where the water line from the pisser connects. I consider myself lucky because when I replaced it the inner one wasn't as tight as I would had liked it. Thank god it didn't leak water into the exhaust and into the motor.

Thread Information