non Mikuni carb kits leaking at base of fuel pump?

Question for anyone who has gone through the motions on this before...

Every NON Mikuni kit I have ever been exposed to has consistantly left an air leak at the base of the fuel pump. Air leak detected by blocking off all fuel inlets and outlets except for inserting 20psi into one of the inlets...then spraying carb base with windex or Wd40. Always bubbles at all torque levels on the lid screws. Each time...all it took was installing a Mikuni oring under the base gasket on the fuel pump side to seal it up again.

How much pressure really enters this side of the carb? Are these small air leaks a big deal? My opinion is "yes" of course. I mean, are these carbs pouring gas into the hull while in use if installed? I have never allowed one in my skis so I dont know what the consequence is. If this is a very low pressure area, then maybe it really doesnt leak?

+1
    Most times the fuel pumps won't work correctly due to the leak on the fuel blocks. In The non Mikuni kits the I rings aren't thick enough to seal properly from what I've seen in the past. Genuine Mikuni is the only way to go in my opinion. On a side note. Last batch of genuine Mikuni kits I received the I rings weren't the usually rectangular shaped rubber material but regular round material. They didn't seal either. Lucky I have back stocks of partial kits and had spare o rings. The smaller super bn kits have had the correct o rings. The only kits I've seen that had the round o rings lately were the ones for the Gpr / 951 carbs.

I asked SBT about their leaky kits and they acted like they have never heard the complaint before. Bs! I have called many times to complain every time I has to deal with one. I asked them if it would be okay to double the rubber gasket on top of the flawed oring to try and seal it and they said it is okay to do. Any comments on that?

I sure wish I would have asked osidebill where he got his supplies from before he passed. I used to order a few packs of extra parts from him from time to time. Does anyone know where a person can just order mikuni orings from individually?

+1
    Sudco in California should have individual components. I haven't purchased from them in several years but need to give them a call. They are the main importer for Mikuni USA

Cool. Looks like they only sell to legit dealers to keep the pwrts away from wholesalers. Called one of the dealers for them up in amN and let a voicemail. Hopefully I can get my hands on a stash of the gaskets and orings. I HATE reusing any of these parts! Takes 5 minutes to clean up a dang oring lol

Thread Information