Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

4-Tec replacement for XPL

As far as a 4-tec pwc, what's everyone's opinion on a decet 4-stroke replacement for the 00 XPL hull? Some background, I have 2 xpl's, a Yamaha Gp760 (older), 98 gsxl w/some mods, and an 01 RXX, obviously all 2-strokes. I'm liquidating a few of them, and wanted to get a stroke ski, particularly for lakes which don't allow 2-strokes now. Out of all my hulls, I love the XPL. The thing handles like its a part of you, and with the light work I've done, you stick in the seat, hold on to the mat, and the thing just hooks and grabs with everything its got. Its honestly 40ish hp short of what one can handle I think.

With the 4-tecs, I know they are a bit heavier, larger foot print, and most likely going to feel like the RXX in some ways, a spark piqued my interest, but I feel the lack of speed/power might be a bit of a let down coming from a few 65+ mph pwc's with great acceleration. I hear turbo kits are availiable for the spark, but its probably not something I'm interested in.

+1
    The 98-04 XPL/XP eats chop better than anything out there. Period! Carves like no other (with sponsons). As far as couches go, it was my favorite (and still is in some ways).

When I first rode the new T3 hull (in January 2012), I knew I had to buy one. As a huge 4-stroke ski, its the best replacement for the XPL - the 2012-2014 RXP-X.

If the XPL's didn't nose plow so much when loaded with gas, I may have put a 4-tec (215) in my '04 XP. I knew the much heavier motor would change how it rode and not for the better (besides faster).

ps. Anyone want to buy my 99xpl & 04xp really cheap

I own a 2000 xpl with just sponsons and a 2012 RXPX. When both have stock motors, they are fairly similar. The spring seat XPL is really nice in random chop.

Now with the limiters removed out of the RXPX but still mostly stock, the RXPX is about 10 MPH faster in most water conditions.

+1
    I just recently sold my 2000 xpl...to my wifes son...so it's still in the family at least. 150+ hours allot of which in the ocean and still runs 61ish all day long, completely stock. Great ski, just a bit under powered in all circumstance by today's standards. Definitely one of the most fun ski's to ride in the ocean other than not quite having the juice to launch in a short distance off the waves like the PX. But i'm nit picking a bit, because i'm trying to distance myself from parting with it. Like you guys the PX260 really bridged the gap for me. There is a vid on youtube of a 4-tech xpl that just looks retarded fast. I just couldn't bring myself to spend any money on a 14 year old ski. By far probably the most fun I've had for the $2500 I paid for it.

+1
    I hear you on that. Bang for the buck, i love my xpl. I'm thinking of doing one a 1050 this year, and seeing how it feels.

I was looking at an 08 rxp, slight mods, they are pretty quick, is the new hull that much better? Newer is probably going to be more than i want to spend on a single ski. As far as rxp vs rxt, gs, etc, rxp is going to be the best handling of any of them? Maybe I'm alone on this but i don't exactly understand seadoos design philosophy sometimes.

I'd say my gsxl is the oddest boat i have, technically it handles great with the sponsons on it. But it is exactly like sitting on a couch. No connected feel, no confidence inspiring feel, you are just left wondering how best to hold on in a turn. It works in the end, though.

I agree with most of what has been said. I owned both a 1997 XP and 2001 XPL, and the 97 was better in the handling department due to the lighter engine. The 951 is already too heavy for that hull up front at slower speeds, I cannot envision a heavier 4 stroke going in there. If you could put 100 more HP in the XPL with the weight of the 787, you would have a dream ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    I agree with most of what has been said. I owned both a 1997 XP and 2001 XPL, and the 97 was better in the handling department due to the lighter engine. The 951 is already too heavy for that hull up front at slower speeds, I cannot envision a heavier 4 stroke going in there. If you could put 100 more HP in the XPL with the weight of the 787, you would have a dream ski.
    Don't try to envision anymore.. LOL Here ya go:
    http://www.rapidacceleration.com/watercraft_videos.htm

http://www.rapidacceleration.com/xpl4tec-build.htm

+1
    if you stop moving you sink .... haha

+1
    Xpl is a bad ass hull

+1
    I am afraid the 4 tec curiosity has got me. I may be adding to my stable of sea doo's. So a RXPX is the closest we have to work with? Not sure I can afford one of those just yet!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information