GP1200. Need advise to get MPH up.

I have a near bone stock 97 GP 1200 that I rebuilt the motor about 3 years ago on. At the time she went .030 over because the center piston fried. I also went to premix and no choke(I do this on all my waverunners)

She starts cold or hot perfectly, idles, pulls hard, and has been a BLAST to own. Sometimes it will "spin" in the water after a tight turn but for the most part hooks up pretty good from my untrained experience.

However...I know she has more speed in her. The dream meter shows 52 in perfect water conditions. 50 is more common.

That said...I plan to finish out the season with the yamaha as is but I want to give her some lovin this winter because she has been so faithful.

Thanks for your knowledge.

Jason

Shit...meant advice.

+1
    You need to get a GPS to see where your speed is truly at. My speedometer reads low on my GP1200. Most speedometers read high, but that is not always the case. Also, if you have the stock plastic trim tabs, that is killing your speed. Most of them break off because the plastic tabs "sag" in the middle and the water eventually rips them off. You need to try and find some aluminum trim tabs to install.

I tore my plastic trim tabs off mine and when I put on some new aluminum trim tabs I got a few extra mph out of the ski

+1
    If your engine compression is good and it runs clean without any carb issues, and you have the aluminum tabs you are good, as long as your impeller and housing are in spec. Get a GPS to confirm your speed. Do a search for my post, there is a lot of speed in the ride plate angle and filling in bolt holes underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by 97GPSLEEPER View Post
    If your engine compression is good and it runs clean without any carb issues, and you have the aluminum tabs you are good, as long as your impeller and housing are in spec. Get a GPS to confirm your speed. Do a search for my post, there is a lot of speed in the ride plate angle and filling in bolt holes underneath.
    Still has plastic factory trim tabs and NOTHING has been done to the bottom. Time to find some old school trim tabs!!

I removed the mirrors today and tightened the steering bushing. Can't wait to get her in the water next weekend!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubspeed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 97GPSLEEPER View Post
    Still has plastic factory trim tabs and NOTHING has been done to the bottom. Time to find some old school trim tabs!!

I removed the mirrors today and tightened the steering bushing. Can't wait to get her in the water next weekend!!!
    Did you make it back out on the water?

oh yeah. She was in the Gulf ALL weekend. Jumping, island excursions, sex...yup...everything.

Ran perfect like always. But the gulf doesn't let you do full pulls. LOL. Top speed was 35. Didn't want to sling the lady friend off the back.

Back to the Lake in a few weeks.

+1
    Look up www.groupk.com, they have a good bit of info on these boats. I had them port mine and cut the head, big improvements. I believe I had mine up to about 62 or 63 GPS. Don't forget a good aftermarket prop too. Stock on is good for paperweight.

Thread Information