Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Posts
    4

    Yamaha FX SHO overheat warning but Thermo-switch tests good

    2010 FX SHO, warning light comes on after about a mile at mid throttle then goes into expected limp mode. Shut off, let it cool and reset, did it again after another mile. Engine Temp on LCD dash panel readout was 96F. Removed and tested Thermoswitch, tests open until 196F, then closed, back to open at 192F. Any idea what could cause the dash engine overheat warning light to come on and make audible beep if the engine temp on LCD reads as expected and Thermoswitch is operating as designed? Manual says it is thermoswitch but it tested fine, even cycles the testing a few times to make sure. Also tested resistance of input thermosensor and that was in spec as well. No trouble codes stored but I did not test at time of issue so I expect they were not stored as currently has code 01. Any trouble shooting ideas are welcome.


  2. #2
    powerstroke specialist mikegp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,529
    +1
    190
    as far as i know the temp displayed on the right side is actually a water temp from a lake or sea ,not the engine temp. i imagine you are referring to the thermostat as the thermo switch ?

  3. #3
    I had the same issue on 2012 FX SHO. I replaced all the heat sensors on the Ski (that didn't fix it).

    I replaced the Spark Plug coils and that fixed the problem. When you replace the Coils you should replace the spark plugs too. JB

  4. #4
    powerstroke specialist mikegp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,529
    +1
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    I had the same issue on 2012 FX SHO. I replaced all the heat sensors on the Ski (that didn't fix it).

    I replaced the Spark Plug coils and that fixed the problem. When you replace the Coils you should replace the spark plugs too. JB
    WHAT???????

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Posts
    4
    The Cruiser FX SHO model has 2 LCD temp indicators, one is lake temp and the other is engine temp. Engine temp was the same as when the ski was running fine weeks before the warning issue. Thermo switch is different from Thermostat, thermoswitch is actually a 2 wire electrical sensor screwed in the side of the block that correctly. I will go after the thermostat today to see if there is some sort of stone or blockage from making it open at temp.

    Any other ideas welcome.

  6. #6
    powerstroke specialist mikegp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,529
    +1
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stowell View Post
    The Cruiser FX SHO model has 2 LCD temp indicators, one is lake temp and the other is engine temp. Engine temp was the same as when the ski was running fine weeks before the warning issue. Thermo switch is different from Thermostat, thermoswitch is actually a 2 wire electrical sensor screwed in the side of the block that correctly. I will go after the thermostat today to see if there is some sort of stone or blockage from making it open at temp.

    Any other ideas welcome.
    that was my question , just making sure you're not confuse , the first thing you will need to look is the thermostat, just replace it in my opinion to excluded from the equation, then take it to the water again.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    I had the same issue on 2012 FX SHO. I replaced all the heat sensors on the Ski (that didn't fix it).

    I replaced the Spark Plug coils and that fixed the problem. When you replace the Coils you should replace the spark plugs too. JB
    WHAT???????
    True! I replaced the thermostats / heat sensors; they all turned out to be fine. Go back and read the OP original Post. If this was something Sensor / thermostat related, then the Heat Warning lights would come on much sooner. For me, the heat warning light would come on after a few miles too.

    So if you go "upstream" from that, what's really left that is of any real significance: The Coils and the ECU.

    That will be great if its a sensor or something cheap like that; in my case not The Coils were expensive! JB

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Nashville, Tn
    Posts
    788
    +1
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stowell View Post
    The Cruiser FX SHO model has 2 LCD temp indicators, one is lake temp and the other is engine temp.
    Might want to research that. Pretty sure the second reading is the ambient temperature not the engine temperature.

  9. #9
    powerstroke specialist mikegp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,529
    +1
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    I had the same issue on 2012 FX SHO. I replaced all the heat sensors on the Ski (that didn't fix it).

    I replaced the Spark Plug coils and that fixed the problem. When you replace the Coils you should replace the spark plugs too. JB
    WHAT???????
    True! I replaced the thermostats / heat sensors; they all turned out to be fine. Go back and read the OP original Post. If this was something Sensor / thermostat related, then the Heat Warning lights would come on much sooner. For me, the heat warning light would come on after a few miles too.

    So if you go "upstream" from that, what's really left that is of any real significance: The Coils and the ECU.

    That will be great if its a sensor or something cheap like that; in my case not The Coils were expensive! JB
    totally understand your point of view of trowing parts to fix the issue, but as today , this will be the first time i have heard that the ignition coils have anything to do with temp.
    this is new info for me. but i will keep it just in case.
    i will think more or less , that the problem was related to wiring , bad connection , keep in mind you move the whole hardness all aorund.

  10. #10
    powerstroke specialist mikegp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,529
    +1
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by nashvegas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stowell View Post
    The Cruiser FX SHO model has 2 LCD temp indicators, one is lake temp and the other is engine temp.
    Might want to research that. Pretty sure the second reading is the ambient temperature not the engine temperature.
    i've got one and i have never seen the engine temp on the lcd display.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2009 FX Cruiser SHO Overheat Warning - Help!
    By owencardew in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 03:44 PM
  2. 2008 Stealth Black Yamaha FX SHO FS in Duluth, GA
    By WickedIXMR in forum Yamaha 2 Stroke Skis
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-22-2010, 10:06 AM
  3. Wanted: Yamaha FX SHO WaveRunner Engine (1.8L)
    By craigs in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-15-2010, 05:17 AM
  4. Yamaha FX SHO after Kawi 15F
    By Jack Bauer On 15F in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-25-2008, 07:13 PM
  5. yamaha fx sho
    By bikerstyle in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-01-2007, 09:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •