Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

was 750SS getting water in airbox, now drive bearing

I'm confused. I rode this thing ten miles last week and all was good. Took it out today and it wouldn't run past half throttle. Pulled the seat and saw water in the hull about 3" deep for some reason even though it was dry when I put it away and just barley wet when I started my ride today. So I pulled the intake from the carb box and it ran fine. There's water in the airbox.
    First: how fast does it need to be ridden to keep the hull pumped out?
    Second: how does water get in the hull or the airbox?

Thanks,
    Murf
    Last edited by murf; 08-15-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Either you have a leaky hose or hood/seat seal. Go to the ramp and leave it strapped down. Put idt in the water, at an angle if you have to due to steep ramp, and fire it up and check for leaks.
    You can use grease or whatever you prefer to check your seals. Just wipe it off when done.
    Is this an early 90's model that does not have drain plug(s). If so check and make sure your siphon lines are clear and hooked up proper. It should drain out at speed pretty quick. If you have a long no-wake zone it may not keep up with the leak.
    Good luck. Fun ski right there.

I sure appreciate the quick help. It's a 93 model.
    You mentioned using grease to check seals; where? I know the seat seal isn't great but it doesn't seem that would let a bunch of water in during my 500' no wake zone. I've blown the suction lines last time before I rode because it had water before (it sat 4 years). Guess I should yank the airbox and look for cracks?
    Murf

+1
    When it gets a bunch of water in the hull, the driveshaft coupling slings it everywhere. This is how the water gets in the flame arrestor.

Could be a leaking driveshaft seal.

A leaking seal would make sense cause I've looked briefly before as it idles and not seen a leak. I've run my hand and blown air in each hose. It was dry when I parked it but it sat a week and then had water. The shaft seal could leak while parked I suppose.
    How hard are they to replace?
    Thanks,
    Murf

+1
    When you say 'it sat a week' do you mean you left it in the water that long? That's a good way to sink a ski that you didn't know was leaking.

Drive shaft has to be removed to replace the seal, usualy involves lifting the motor inorder to slide the shaft out.

Yeah sounds like the through hull bearing

Thanks guys, I'm a jet ski idiot and tried doing a bunch of searches. Sure enough, its leaking where the drive shaft bearing meets the hull. What would cause that to leak after 20 years? Is there a seal where the bearing meets the hull that deteriorates? I assume it's an engine out repair?
    At least it runs good now that I know to keep the hull empty. Darn thing just won't run well with water spraying over the entire engine compartment.
    Murf

+1
    The bearing is mounted in a rubber disk. The rubber deteriorates and splits when it gets old.

Looked like it was leaking where the flange bolted to the hull. I pulled that and slid it up the shaft (easy now, don't get excited), cleaned it and put some Yamaha gasket sealer back there. It still drips but not as badly. I gotta believe it's just where the hull and flange meet since the drip is in that union and not along the shaft.
    Thoughts?
    Murf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information