+1

Driving to Miami

Hey guys,

I am about to come to Miami for around 10 days and drive down from Toronto with the jet ski thanks to the Jetta TDI for burning so little diesel. Wanted to ask you guys about the rules for the Miami beach ramps and where to leave the jet sky. This is the first time to bring the jet sky in salt water. Will it be a problem if I don't flush it after I ride it but I will ride it every day and I`ll flush it when I come back home.

Thank you

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Make sure you have the ski and trailer well secured against theft. Locks on tow ball mount to receiver, hitch coupler, trailer chains, the ski to the trailer, etc.

You are traveling to one of the watercraft theft capitals of the world.

A weeks worth of salt water exposure with no fresh water rinsing will create some corrosion potential. Thoroughly wash and dry the entire hull interior before you head south, then spray the engine and all metal parts with anti-corrosion spray. Not WD-40.

The spray coating will protect the engine surfaces and make it much easier to wash the dried salt off later.

Same for the jet pump. Clean, dry, then apply protectant.

Trailer; make sure it is ready for a long road trip. All trailer tires should be less than five years old, including the spare tire. Check DOT date code on each tire sidewall. If there are signs of rubber cracks on the sidewalls or between the treads, buy new tires. Inflate to the maximum air pressure shown on the sidewall, unless the trailer manufacture specifies otherwise.

If the trailer has leaf springs then spray with Rust Check spray to reduce rust. If the entire trailer is (painted) steel then spray as much of the metal as possible. Steel trailers tend to rust fairly quickly when immersed in salt water.

Check all bolts and nuts for tightness.

Trailer wheel bearings should be checked for play or grittiness. Replace the wheel bearings if there is any question about bearing health. Some guys buy and carry an entire spare wheel hub, along with the tools needed to change the hub at roadside. Make sure you have a jack that will actually lift the trailer. I carry a D shaped trailer jack in my trailer box.

Also make sure your tire wrench will actually fit the lug nuts on the trailer wheels. In fact, jack the trailer up and actually remove each tire. If a nut is rusted in place or otherwise fighting with you, better to get it fixed before you hit the road.

This is also a good time to spin each trailer wheel and feel/listen for wheel bearing noise or wheel bearing play. There should be no noise and almost zero slop in the wheel bearings. If you can wobble the wheel side to side then the wheel bearings probably need replacement.

Make sure the trailer has the correct tongue weight and the trailer frame is level when hooked up to the car and both are fully loaded, ready for the road.
    Last edited by K447; 08-15-2014 at 10:50 PM.

+1
    Spot on K447. Especially the part about traveling with a spare trailer hub.

You never said what model ski but if its a modern SD with closed-loop cooling, you will be fine.

I would buy a couple of spray bottles of "Salt-Away" and bring 1 or 2 gallon of fresh water to rinse as much in engine compartment as you can. I dump 1.5 gallons of fresh water the moment I pull-out the boat ramps (aside from home flushing/washing). You could always go into a self car wash (with pressure wand). Crawl under ski and spray drive-shaft and pump with WD40 after each ride.

http://www.saltawayproducts.com/16ozPage.htm

If this is an open-loop ski, I would do anything and everything to flush after each ride (within the hour). Even if that meant driving to a fresh water lake for a back-in and flush.

If you have a 4-Tec motor, make sure you go nuts with dielectric grease around the tops of the coil and where it sits in plug hole.

+1
    guys i need some help. where can I park my jet sky in Miami beach while I am on the beach. Everywhere it seems it`s a swim area and the guard told me to get off or 400$ ticket. The rental place seems the only place to come and park the jet sky.. where else ?

+1
    We ride not too far north north and pull-up on beach just about anywhere. From my understanding, you can't pull-up on beach in all of Dade county. Broward may be same. Not our territory so take that with a grain of (Atlantic) salt.

As for pulling up next to a jetski rental...I would never do it. It's generally filled with noob riders that treat everything like bumper-cars.

BTW: What ski do you ride?

Thread Information