Thread: cavitating

+1

cavitating

so i recently replaced my damaged prop, wear ring, and pump seal. I installed a 15/21 solas impellar, stock wear ring, and r&d pump seal.

at the same time i also added the x charger, 4" intake, full riva exhaust, opas block offs, riva intake grate, r&d girdle.

the engine sounds and runs great except for one thing......2-6k it cavitates out of the hole really bad. once i plane out it hooks and books. its almost like driving a big ass speed boat trying to get on top of the water. where should i start to look for the problem? or am i just not used to the resistance in the new intake grate? still new to the jet ski world. i did read a few post one time about someone else with issues with the r&d pump seal.

ALL THOUGHTS WELCOMED!

+1
    Do you know if your engine is aligned properly?

+1
    not a clue. i havent touched the mounts. any way to check with out the motor alignment tool?

Im having the motor and head pulled at the end of the season so i can do the flywheel bolts, valves, springs, etc. then throwing the f1k and riva ecu in for some real fun. hopefully ill be able to ride mid nov here in texas

+1
    im also not really getting any water in the hull which from what ive read means the carbon seal is bad

+1
    was the impeller NEW?

+1
    it was refurbished by impros. its a cd-srx15/21. i appeared in perfect condition. when i installed the new wear ring it was REALLY close.

Sounds like you need to pull the pump and check that the R&D seal went in nice and flush.

Also, this kind of clueless feeling you have is sometimes the result of doing too many various mods all at once. But yea, pull the pump and look for what's likely the most obvious in your situation.

+1
    yeah thats what i figured. is there a specific torque specs and pattern for the pump housing? the directions said to use wd40 to lube up the seal. i think im going to go to a pool supply house and get the seal lube before i try to reinstall the pump

What ski do you have?
    on my 05 rxp, I'm pretty sure the manual says 24ft lbs for pump bolts and the torque pattern is a 2-step cross pattern. I don't have that R&D pump seal but I plan to buy one...and ive read what you have about frequent trouble getting it to seat nice and square. I always used a thin layer of bearing grease to seat even just my OEM style seal. I imagine that's all you need, except with the addition of a little extra careful eye on pushing the R&D seal in.

+1
    05 rxp

Thread Information