Does this look normal after honing?

I sent 3 cylinder off to millennium 1 to be plated 2 to be honed before my engine goes back in. The re-plated one is perfect as i would expect but the 2 that were honed have darker grey lines almost all the way around the the cylinders is this normal? Just want to make sure it is not going to cause issues after putting all this $ into rebuilding the engine. I appreciate all the great advice you guys give!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cylinder.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	338985

That's what honing does, it ruffs up the surface so the new pistons/rings can seat better.

The cross hatch is good i just want to make sure the dark grey wasn't like through the Nickel-Silicon coating.

Don't think it is, that dark grey on top isn't from the honing, it's from your piston previously. I'm pretty sure it's normal, someone with more knowledge can chime in and tell you exactly but from what I've seen lurking around on the here I think you're good

I had some lines that looked like that vertically but not around like they are now. I am assuming they would have called me to re-plate them as well if there was an issue but I wanted to run it past you guys since this is my first rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by aloosen View Post
    I had some lines that looked like that vertically but not around like they are now. I am assuming they would have called me to re-plate them as well if there was an issue but I wanted to run it past you guys since this is my first rebuild.
    Did you try removing it with emory cloth and oil? The vertical lines you describe, were they there before you sent it off (was it a previous piston seizure wear marks)? Was the piston/cylinder subject to water rust and sitting in the TDC position for a long time? Something's not right. If it were mine I'd contact the machine shop. You've spend alot of hard earned cash... .

The vertical marks before we're like this just discoloration they were perfectly Smooth and are now gone after the hone. No water or rust at all they were in good condition except the one I needed re-plating on. What type of oil would I use to try to remove them?

+1
    i dont see anything wrong with what you have there. ride more worry less.

Quote Originally Posted by aloosen View Post
    The vertical marks before we're like this just discoloration they were perfectly Smooth and are now gone after the hone. No water or rust at all they were in good condition except the one I needed re-plating on. What type of oil would I use to try to remove them?
    ...gotcha. Did the machinist use a different type on honing jig or something? I've seen alot of cylinders in my time and never saw anything like that. Oh well.

Anywayz, to answer your question, I used emory cloth and WD40 to remove light seizure marks from pistions over the years. Basically just removing melted-on aluminum off of the cylinder walls from the piston expanding/too hot... . Even tho your marks don't appear to be aluminium it still may be worth a try.

Thread Information