+1

4-Tec oil question, please don't beat me with an empty oil bottle !

Machines in signature get the oil and filter changed between 25 and 40 hrs, usually twice a season, same oil in both Castrol 10W40 motorcycle oil and BRP filters.

The old oil in the RXP looks like used engine oil no concerns, the GTX oil looks the same darkness and clarity and it has a slight but noticeable red to orange hue to it. Machine runs great otherwise is this anything to be concerned about ?

+1
    So long as there is nothing golden/shimmering in your oil filter you can sleep quite easy!!

I have zero clue as to what would colour your oil TBH but checking the pleats of the filter is a very good indication of anything being wrong!!

R88

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Machines in signature get the oil and filter changed between 25 and 40 hrs, usually twice a season, same oil in both Castrol 10W40 motorcycle oil and BRP filters.

The old oil in the RXP looks like used engine oil no concerns, the GTX oil looks the same darkness and clarity and it has a slight but noticeable red to orange hue to it. Machine runs great otherwise is this anything to be concerned about ?
    You cant tell anything about oil by the color. Only a used oil analysis will tell you that information. Oil can be black in color and be perfectly fine..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestram View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post

You cant tell anything about oil by the color. Only a used oil analysis will tell you that information. Oil can be black in color and be perfectly fine..

I know colour doesn't mean much for used oil, 20 minutes after an oil change in my diesel pickup and it's black like it's never been changed.

I thought it odd that it's basically the same engine, same hours, same oil and filter and the used oil in one has a noticeably different colour to it. Filter pleats looked the same on both machines nothing there to concern me.

Thread Information