Do fuel pumps pulse?

I've just pulled my old fuel pump ready to put in my new Aeromotive, and thought I'd hook up my old FP to 12v to understand how it works etc.

Is it normal for the FP to pulse the fuel (or water in this case)?

It's pulsing water constantly about 3 to 4 times a second. I imagined that it would run continuously?

Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post
    I've just pulled my old fuel pump ready to put in my new Aeromotive, and thought I'd hook up my old FP to 12v to understand how it works etc.

Is it normal for the FP to pulse the fuel (or water in this case)?

It's pulsing water constantly about 3 to 4 times a second. I imagined that it would run continuously?
    It's supposed to run continuously, water will kill the pump quickly.

Thought it was screwed anyway as it wouldn't prime when in the ski. It just went bump click, bump click, bump click - nothing. Fuel pressure didn't get above 10psi then just fell away to nothing. So doesn't matter about water, I just like to learn as I work. Faulty FP caused the engine to miss every so often (log showed 18-20 AFR). Eventually by the time I made it back to shore it could almost not run.

Fitted new Aeromotive FP, touched 12v across it (correct polarity) and it too pulses. So unless I have another faulty pump or a pulsing power supply (which my multimeter and test lamp don't say I do), then fuel pumps must pulse.

Anyone wanna comment or test one that's laying around. No need to submerge, just 12v it.

+1
    I don't know of any fuel pump that pulsates.

+1
    your power supply is pulsing, fuel pumps don't pulse

Guys, you were right, I was wrong

Tried another 12v supply and all runs well, no pulsing. I assume the current draw was too great for my old weedy power supply.

So in answer to my own question, NO they are not meant to pulse!!

Side note, my old pump has been running without a glitch in a bucket of water and splash of oil, for 4 hrs now Really hope that the problem was a intermittent one and not a problem elsewhere. Maybe there was some shit in the fuel or the pump runs fine without a load, but as soon as the pressure builds up it falls over. Can't think it could be anything else due to symptons and that the whirring and clunking sound was coming from the fuel tank - there's nothing else mechanical involved at fuel prime.

Will soon find out when I eventually get the thing back together and on the water - maybe not this season though (too busy)

Thread Information