Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cooling Mod

Cooling Mod

After some testing on the 310, found that the engine bay temps right under the seat went from a cold engine 80F to around 104F after only 5 minutes of various speed riding on 80F water. After another 5 minutes it rose to 130F and remained there - it didn't go lower for the remaining 15 minutes. Back at the dock it rose to 140F before the seat was
    pulled off. The front compartment under the tray by the ecu remained at 80F.

I was surprised to feel the intercooler very warm, higher than the 80F air/water temperatures. Some will say that the water circulation will keep it cool
    enough, but sometimes I like to turn off the engine and can't afford to have the heat soak raise the temps. Can't remove the seat when I'm out on the
    water either.

The factory intercooler is already top of the line, so I'm planning on adding two small cooling fans to the already trimmed rear ducts to exhaust the air. I've
    heard about the frogzskin panels that let the air in and keep the water out, but don't want to cut any holes and they'd be too small for any effect. Raising
    the seat with washers would add to the noise level, pass on that. Those were the only mods I found so far.

For any high speed runs, the fans can be turned off to let the air into the hull. But I hightly doubt any air is taken into the rear, since the front has
    plenty of hidden openings around the recall plate if you look closely. And I thought there would be some air movement in the engine bay to expel the hot air,
    but the readings indicate otherwise.

Banned User
    +1
    Give it some more air. Get a hole saw, under the throttle side cowling there's a perfect little spot for an opening. You can even add the factory style duct and adapter to make it look nice and just as safe as factory

You're talking about this nicjak mod
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nicjak 2.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	339032
    I've taken off the ecu cover like illustrated, plus there's a big gap around the recall plate at the top centre.
    I think the intake snorkel sucks all that air in, with nothing left for the engine bay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nicjak 3.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	339031  

+1
    Fans have been proven to be a waste of time and actually cost you hp.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Yes fans are awaist of time

Slope, 310 has a better Oil Cooler than 300. 310 also holds 20% more oil than 300. I would resist the temptation to start "drilling" here and there for more "air". Unless you are going to go Turbo on this thing, I would leave it the way it is. If you have to go SCOM, still, you are getting enough air into the engine for that application. JB

7. +1 by:

+1
    John how do you know the 310 oil cooler is better? All the research I have done have it being exactly the same as the 300 inc the thermostat as I don't have a 310 are you also saying they hold more than 5ltrs of oil during a change?

+1
    john do you want to answer my post above?

Banned User
    +1
    All PN for 300 and 310 oil cooler are the same last time I checked.... been a while though

+1
    They are mike thats why im asking john

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information