Which Ski to Buy?

Hey all,
    I'm building a shallow river boat out of a 16' Fiber glass Ouachita, It's kind of a modified tri-hull- semi flat bottom boat,
    I use a F-Glass boat for it's stability over Aluminum
    I Crossbow fish Carp out of it, Trap Bait, Catfish and troll for Muskies and Walleye's too... Plus hauling overnite gear
    Here's the dilemma 99% of the time I'm on the upper St. Croix... Rocks, sand bars, and trees in the water are beating the crap out of my out board...
    I'm looking for a jetski to power the "O" here's a pic.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1669_zps2dc06344.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	339074
    My plan is to cut the Ski at the waterline and graft it into the hull and transom of the "O" and building a flip up deck over the motor and pump assemblies to fish and shoot off of
    I'm here because green hulk came up on several forums...I haven't had a ski since 94' that was a tide rider I brought back from Cali
    What do you guys think the Best Ski to get I'd like to stay in the $1200 and lower ski's, I snoozed on a Polaris SL 900
    I'm looking at a 93 Po SL 750, Kawi zxi 1100, and a 1100 STX Kawi...I'd like to have reverse, like on the STX but they seem to have a lot of electrical problems
    I'd like to hear what you guys think I should do
    Thanks
    Spec

Seems to me even an old 130 4-tec is gonna be way more power than that lil boat is gonna be able to handle safely. Then....the "pitchin deck"/cover for the motor is gonna bring you well above the water...kinda tippy in a lil boat....weight is gonna be another factor here...I bet that fglass boat already weighs much more than an aluminum one.

Who knows...heck of a project if you can pull it off.

I have seen outboard jets for small boats before....dunno what they cost though.

Hey Varedneck,
    The "O" is extremely stable,,,I've had 3 guys and a 20# Cat all on one side on the gun whale, and 2 guys pulling double Carp off the bows
    Out board jet....They are way spendy and still are hanging in harm's way
    I was thinking jetski, to keep everything out of harms way...I put the "O" in some really UGLY places On fish but in some really nasty stuff
    Speed is NOT an issue...I like to go fast but where I fish speed will get you killed...and your body will never be recovered
    So I'm thinking in the 78 to 100 hp. range should be plenty to push it around the river
    I guess what I was asking is
    I know everybody has made a lemon...
    I have rode Polaris sleds for the last 30-some years
    Who makes a bullet proof power plant in that range and has a good pump set up that can handle pushing a much heavier boat than it was originally intended too
    Heck most of the time we are just off idle Trolling or setting traps and only really get on it when in the flats 3-5 feet of water Or limited out and heading home
    Usually I keep a boat for a couple years and sell it off...I really like this one ...It came home with holes in it Couple hours of G-Glass work and we're back on the water

Name:	DSCF1634_zpsea4f1904.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	339093

Name:	DSCF1640_zps88e18550.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	339094

Looks awesome man ... Not sure which engine would be the best but I'd love to see even just an old 98/99 GP 1200 Yami motor hooked up to it ... But id avoid polaris if your worried about being swept away where you go fishing and go for something more reliable like an old XL 700 Yami .. we used to rent them out and you know, we used to get more hours out of one of them than any other 2 stroke motors we had .. somthing Lets know what you decide anyway ..

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by spec View Post
    Who makes a bullet proof power plant in that range and has a good pump set up that can handle pushing a much heavier boat than it was originally intended too
    Heck most of the time we are just off idle Trolling or setting traps and only really get on it when in the flats 3-5 feet of water Or limited out and heading home
    All the old 2-strokes PWC are carburetor engines. Most PWC engines are not built for extended idling and low speed operation, they were designed to rev and go. Extended low RPM operation might be troublesome. Excessive fuel pooling in the engine (rich burn) and exhaust smoke plus possible excess oil delivery for even more smoke.

Jet pumps tend to wander at low hull speeds, they tend to not just go in a straight line. Might be frustrating when trolling if you have to keep steering to correct course every few seconds.

The old blue Fuji 750 engines from Polaris PWC tend to be reliable and you can find an impeller from a 650 motor or a high altitude 750 version to cope with the added water drag. The later model year blue engines have variable flow rate oil injection pumps so reduced oil consumption and less exhaust smoke at low RPM.

The Polaris jet pumps from 1994 onwards are modular so you can mix and match parts as needed. Reverse, stainless steel stator and impellers are all available.

There are several old project threads where others have installed PWC jet pumps into boat hulls. Some were retrofit, others were full custom hulls.

The Polaris two cylinder red 'domestic' engines are more compact than the blue Fuji three cylinder. 700cc but rated for 80 to 95hp depending on the version. Uses the same jet pump parts as the blue engines. The twin is also known for good fuel economy, at least when pushing the stock PWC hull around on plane.

Thread Information