2011 gti 155 shaft boot failure?

ski has 55h, and today under way the shaft seal was pissing water under power. I thought it tore up but not, so not sure what could be wrong....any ideas?

ok no leaks but the pump is making one hell of a rockus and i have no power to even get on plane. rpms goes up but can't even get on plane.... so obviously something broke and rattles the seal out so it would leak...
    Last edited by mirage2991; 08-17-2014 at 01:13 PM.

+1
    Mirage
    Good to hear you got to safety and Ski is intact.
    The carbon ring failed on my GTR at 73 hours ...... I was riding 5/6 miles off shore and when I got back to the jetty the water was a good 6/7 inches deep through out the hull.
    When I phoned my dealer his first question was check the area around the carbon ring/boot for debris as this has been know to hamper the ring doing it's job or something rubbing against the boot.
    In the end it was a dodgey Carbon ring ... replaced under warranty .
    Alignment is also spoken about but i'm sure someone ,more knowledgeable, will chip in soon.
    Good luck sorting it.

Quote Originally Posted by saxwinder View Post
    Mirage
    Good to hear you got to safety and Ski is intact.
    The carbon ring failed on my GTR at 73 hours ...... I was riding 5/6 miles off shore and when I got back to the jetty the water was a good 6/7 inches deep through out the hull.
    When I phoned my dealer his first question was check the area around the carbon ring/boot for debris as this has been know to hamper the ring doing it's job or something rubbing against the boot.
    In the end it was a dodgey Carbon ring ... replaced under warranty .
    Alignment is also spoken about but i'm sure someone ,more knowledgeable, will chip in soon.
    Good luck sorting it.

yes alignment was off... because the dang on impeller was loose... why? the threads from the receiver shaft rusted out... i can take the impeller off by hand, slides right out... when i try to tight it back onto the said shaft bearing, it catch then twist off like a busted bolt thread... double U tee Eff.... me think it has been defective from the get go... always had a weird rattle when flushing it... of course we are out of warranty! I'll post a new thread about it, boot is fine, carbon ring seemed fine too.

+1
    Mirage2991---Your impeller unscrewed itself and then flopped around inside the pump causing the impeller shaft to strip. If you had a water leak and your impeller was loose, I would STRONGLY recommend that you check your engine oil for metal..... Your impeller may have pushed forward on the against the drive shaft and caused the floating ring to unseat and cause your water leak. If that happened, there is a good chance that the crankshaft walked forward and took out the thrust washers in the motor!!!!

I have seen it a few times.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Mirage2991---Your impeller unscrewed itself and then flopped around inside the pump causing the impeller shaft to strip. If you had a water leak and your impeller was loose, I would STRONGLY recommend that you check your engine oil for metal..... Your impeller may have pushed forward on the against the drive shaft and caused the floating ring to unseat and cause your water leak. If that happened, there is a good chance that the crankshaft walked forward and took out the thrust washers in the motor!!!!

I have seen it a few times.....

How in the world does it unscrew itself??

+1
    It may not have been tight from the factory, but doubt it....I have seen people who are hard on and off the throttle cause it to come loose.....

If it were loose from the factory, it would have gone a lot sooner than now....

physically impossible: impeller turns to the right, right hand thread, it can only tighten itself... the bearing is not frozen either, so there is no way for it to magically loosen unless
    the threads were busted... which looklike they were.... see the other thread i started since it's no longer a "boot" issue...

+1
    Trust me, I have seen it. It sounds physically impossible but its not.

I dont know why it happens, but it does

You would not have made it 5 hours let alone 55 hours if it were broken from the factory

wild, I don't think it was "broken" at the factory, but over torqued and threads where damaged....the salt water did the rest and corroded what was there 55h later, and it finally let go....I'm ordering the parts today. At least the positive thing is the pump is really not hard to get at and remove.

Thread Information