1999 polaris 1050 - Low rpm problem

I recently traded for this jet ski.

Ski would run great on hose but in the water would not open up. I found out had the wrong plugs in it. Changed plugs cleaned carb replaced fuel lines.

Now it will run good on hose but in the water it bogs at low rpm. Can work gas and choke it will open up and run good. Display shows 55 mph at about 6500 rpm.

I think carb needs rebuilding. Any input would help.
    Last edited by K447; 08-25-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Sorry did not tell this is on a 99 polaris 1050. Thanks for any info.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

How were the carbs 'cleaned'?

A proper carburetor rebuild requires genuine OEM rebuild kits and complete carburetor disassembly.

Your carbs not being cleaned properly could be the problem. Did you do them by yourself or did you have someone do it for you?

I pulled the carbs off took apart and cleaned with carb cleaner. All looked good but filters where dirty. Now while pulling the trottle without engine running the back carb sprays and the other 2 drip gas. I'm going to get carb kit and rebuild. Anything I need to know? Thanks for any input on the ski.
    Last edited by Rbonner; 08-18-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Okay now I have a firing problem. I will have spark on all 3 plugs can run on 1 plug at a time then loose 1. Checked all stator readings they are good coils read good. Checked voltage will idle gray wire has no voltage. Can someone tell me what this means?

I am thinking cdi or voltage regulator. I have gone through and checked grounds. They all ohm and look good. Any ideas on my problem would be appreciated.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbonner View Post
    Okay now I have a firing problem. I will have spark on all 3 plugs can run on 1 plug at a time then loose 1. Checked all stator readings they are good coils read good. Checked voltage will idle gray wire has no voltage. Can someone tell me what this means?
    Does this engine have the original ignition system or the Ignition Update Kit installed?

The CDI part number will tell you which you have. If there is a hand written number on the CDI, that is important. Sometimes it is written on the back side.

It has original ignition. You think it is bad even if the ohms checked good? This thing runs good sometime then will drop fire on 1 plug not always the same one but most of the time it's the pto. Cdi part number 4060180

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbonner View Post
    It has original ignition. You think it is bad even if the ohms checked good? This thing runs good sometime then will drop fire on 1 plug not always the same one but most of the time it's the pto. Cdi part number 4060180
    The primary reason the Ignition Update Kit was created had to do with the stators in the original ignitions going bad.

My understanding is that the original stator design used many turns of very fine wire in the windings. These windings are somewhat fragile and the insulation starts to fail or the copper wire develops small breaks. Engine vibration and heat contribute to the original stator failures. Either way once the original stator is no longer reliable the engine will not run properly.

The Gen III stator uses thicker wire in the windings and is a tougher design. But the original CDI will not work with the Gen III stator, hence the need to change both stator and CDI together.

Thread Information