bouncing on choppy water

I have 2 Polaris virage slis.1 virage carbed. 1 txi 1200 di. both skis want to bounce up and down when it a little choppy out.bad enough so as they lose water intake and rev up hard.its around 30 mph I think.inboard outboard boats we just put a whales tail on the outdrive.is there any help for a ski with this issue. thanks

I checked my wedges behind the nozzle on both of them and the thinnest part is at the top.shouldnt it be the other way to lift up on the back?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xltier View Post
    I checked my wedges behind the nozzle on both of them and the thinnest part is at the top.shouldnt it be the other way to lift up on the back?
    Thin part on the top directs thrust upward lifting the nose of the ski. The intent was to lift the nose.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I have a Virage TXi, fuel injected 1200 version. Very similar weight and power to the carburetor version.

I generally carry a lot of gear in the front storage bucket but even with the fuel tank near empty I do not have a problem with porpoising.

The primary changes on my machine are an R&D '650' intake grate and an 8 vane stator. Both are intended to improve rough water hook up. In fact it might be a 12 vane stator in there

For the two cylinder Virage it comes stock with an aluminum five vane stator. I found the two cylinder version (with an empty storage bucket) did tend to come unhooked more in roughish water. A full fuel tank will help, as would the R&D 750SL intake grate. The six vane stainless steel stator would also help.

If the jet pump wedge is changed from the stock four degree part to a three or two degree wedge that will help keep the nose down. Should improve rough water ride but will also reduce top speeds on smooth water.

Certainly the Virage hull rides on top of the waves at speed. Sometimes the Virage hull rides better with more speed and slowing down creates more up and down bouncing with less jet pump hookup. All depends on the water conditions and the wave spacing and wave heights.

I should mention that I generally ride standing up. I rarely sit on the seat. This allows the hull to dance around across the waves while my legs flex. Way less self-abuse at speed but you will feel it in your quad muscles until you build up some leg stamina.

one of them is a 2002 txi 1200 virage.could I post a vid somewhere of my son coming at me.it was flopping up and down.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xltier View Post
    one of them is a 2002 txi 1200 virage.could I post a vid somewhere of my son coming at me.it was flopping up and down.
    My own Virage TXi is a 2002.

Have you had a look under the hull? If the ride plate is crooked or the intake grate is loose or other things are not quite right then the hull will not ride properly. Sponsons also matter. Damaged or badly warped is not good. Mine have plenty of minor doings but are still fairly straight.

The ride plate and the intake grate should be fairly even with the hull and properly sealed with sealant around the edges.

The hull, especially the last 1/3 should not have major gouges or badly done repairs. Lumps and hollows on the bottom will affect the ride and handling.

Also make sure the jet pump is properly configured. If the pump wedge is upside down or missing the hull will not ride properly. The reverse bucket must not be catching the top of the water jet flow. Reverse level should lock into detent, not allow the reverse bucket to wiggle itself downwards.

ill check that stuff tomorrow.thanks.what about what I been reading about shimming the ride plate down in the back.i never ride wide open so a mile or 2 an hour isn't a big deal.

Thread Information