Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

riddle me this no spark

so after days of fucking around both machines have no spark HOWEVER if you unhook the battery leads and ground them out and hook them back up WHOO i have consistant spark... wait a while i dunno floods out or something but again NO SPARK!! redo battery leads and BAM spark... WHAT IN THE EFFFFFFF??? does the CDI have some flooding safety feature? also on machine 1 i have 105 105 and 110 compression on machine 2 ive got 110 110 and 115... is this normal for the 650? shouldn't they be 130+ what are causes for just losing a lil compression

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Always good to specify what Polaris models and years you are asking about.

95 sl650 std sorry

+1
    Standard compression for the 650 and 750 motors is 120 psi in newly rebuilt motors. Compression loss results from worn rings, scratches / gouges in cylinder walls, failing head gaskets etc.

so thats pretty good, any idea about the issue of pulling power......

+1
    Have you check your stator ohm readings? May point to possible issues with the Magneto....?

I know the domestics have a warm restart issue, but electrically the 650/750 motors are just not the same. Have you replaced any electrical components recently?

nope, and they both do it, and stator is all good, within spec.. i'm at a loss once its running it'll run all day, sits for awhile and inital turn over has spark, let off the starter and then back on no spark, pull the power and ground it out put it back and once again i have spark until i let go of starter .. do that a few times then she fires

+1
    Sounds like an issue internal to the CDI. Do you have a known good 650 CDI that you can try?

It is possible that both have failed internally. The only connections to the battery are the ground, the kill wire, which is only momentary, and the yellow stator lead, which has 12v + on it when the motor isn't running.

I would be curious if disconnecting the yellow wire from the CDI when you are getting a No spark condition will "reset" the CDI the same as removing the battery leads. If it does, removal of the small red/purple that connects the positive battery cable to the circuit board should do the same.

If you don't want to chase down a new CDI (or 2), you could install a disconnect switch inline with the small red/purple in the ebox to reset the CDI. Of course, it is never recommended to perform such manual bypasses as they were not designed for the ski or the environment......

any idea what would be inside the CDI that would actually
    'reset" ? i think i'm going to rewire the whole unit from stator and kill switch to ebox because there are a couple of burnt wires, starting to wonder if maybe its a short and that may be the area that is "resetting"

+1
    Well if there are burnt wires, or spliced wires, or anything non factory, definitely rewire the ski....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information