Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Can you use octane booster?

We are going on a poker run and i'm not sure if the places we stop for fuel will have high octane fuel. I was wondering if anyone has used octane booster to compensate for low octane fuel? Can this be done? Is it safe? Have never heard anyone mention this so i wasn't sure if it worked. Any info will help! Thanks2014 310xR&D R3 ReflashR&D blowoff valveR&D ride plate/intake gratesolas 14/19

Many of the octane boosts sold claim to raise "points" which are only 1/10th of a "number." You have to read the labels pretty carefully. Torco and Klotz have been recommended to me as the best octane boosters but I still don't know if they raise the octane number sufficiently to get you from a 80s octane to 90s octane.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    No matter how much you polish a terd ...its always a terd !!!!!!

+1
    I have been using Aces IV for years, its works but its expensive but gets regular up where you can use it

http://www.bndautomotive.com/page/page/931760.htm

I Don't sell, it, I just use it and it's been great.

Contact the owner, Brian, (number in link) and he will explain the benefits and what I does.

+1
    I wouldn't do it. Try and bring some extra gas and strap it to the back of the ski if possible

6. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    I have been using Aces IV for years, its works but its expensive but gets regular up where you can use it

http://www.bndautomotive.com/page/page/931760.htm

I Don't sell, it, I just use it and it's been great.

Contact the owner, Brian, (number in link) and he will explain the benefits and what I does.
    What watercraft do you use this in? 300x?? Can you provide more details as to the ratio you use, etc? This stuff sounds promising....

+1
    Use race-gas. Its an additive that really does raise the octane. Just type in Race-gas. It runs about 30 a can.

Here is what I recall from last few threads:

Torco is one of the better commercial boosters in a can because it does actually raise octane by full (not 10ths) points. One of the SD guys tested a can of Torco in a lab for us in last 12 mos. I dont know the test protocols and procedures but I believe he reported that the octane was raised by about 1.5pts not the 3+ points actually claimed. I personally thought the 1.5+ was pretty good but some scoffed and said its more puffery in the additive (snake oil) market! Another concern is the MMT used in many of these boost products like Torco and probably Klotz. If you research on net you will see that MMT is sometimes blamed for leaving gunky residue and fouling fuel lines, valves etc.

I would use the product if I was stuck in a pinch with 87 marina gas on my 260. But, if I had a 310 with R3 reflash (would have to be in my dreams for now!) Id say oh hell no. I assume you are supposed to stick to 92 if not 93 with that! BTW, carrying the race gas, or 101, or 120 aviation fuel to mix along the way with marina gas is another option but some of the guys here have warned about mixing fuels in addition to the boost products.

+1
    ^^^ That's Pretty-Much the Summary ^^^

Reference:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post2163979

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post2164728

Summarized by a Kawasaki Fan:

The results are better than I expected, but still not what the manufacturer claims.

So in summary, if you start with 87 Octane, and you get a higher level, eg 87.7, using a 102 BLEND may get you to 91.4. The fact is, based on Torco's spec sheet, you should have got to 102. That is a long way off.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brians 310x View Post
    We are going on a poker run and i'm not sure if the places we stop for fuel will have high octane fuel. I was wondering if anyone has used octane booster to compensate for low octane fuel? Can this be done? Is it safe? Have never heard anyone mention this so i wasn't sure if it worked. Any info will help! Thanks2014 310xR&D R3 ReflashR&D blowoff valveR&D ride plate/intake gratesolas 14/19
    Yes, it can be done and it is safe to use Torco or Amsoil octane boosters, as it is safer and easier to carry 1 or 2 quarts of octane boost over a 5 gallon jug of gas. The down side to octane boosters is the MMT.....it leaves a brown powdery coating on the valves, combustion chamber and spark plugs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1410.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	339260  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information