Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Riva RS1015 thermostat kit

Anyone got any back to back data to show how effective this Riva thermostat is? Is a 30 degree drop in temp realistic? Or is it SCOM all over again?!?

Don't want to go open loop and wondered if this could be a middle step to help cooling?

Anyone?

+1
    There is also 131F/55C thermostat...and why wasting your money on riva thermo when you can do it on your own?

3. +1 by:

+1
    I have that RIVA kit. I went from 186-195 to 156-164. Heat-soak is less of an issue and just about no one on these forums rides in hotter water/air temp than we have here in South Florida.

While I had cooling system drained, I put back mostly (distilled) water since plain water cools better and I don't plan to ride with ice-bergs in water. And something I have always done is add several ounces of "Water Wetter" by Redline.

While it is true you can buy just the thermostat online for around $20. Use a hose clamp around the housing...bla bla bla. I actually started going down that road (I bought just the 160-degree thermo), but ran into a snag and the RIVA kit is well thought out with every little part you need. They provide Oetiker clamps and the tool that comes in really useful later on with other projects.

BTW: I like you, I really DO NOT want to run open-loop even though its the best for performance. I ride too much salt.

FYI: If you want to do it all yourself and buy just the thermostat, here is what you need. Part number: 99155A1

5. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    I have that RIVA kit. I went from 186-195 to 156-164. Heat-soak is less of an issue and just about no one on these forums rides in hotter water/air temp than we have here in South Florida.

While I had cooling system drained, I put back mostly (distilled) water since plain water cools better and I don't plan to ride with ice-bergs in water. And something I have always done is add several ounces of "Water Wetter" by Redline.

While it is true you can buy just the thermostat online for around $20. Use a hose clamp around the housing...bla bla bla. I actually started going down that road (I bought just the 160-degree thermo), but ran into a snag and the RIVA kit is well thought out with every little part you need. They provide Oetiker clamps and the tool that comes in really useful later on with other projects.

BTW: I like you, I really DO NOT want to run open-loop even though its the best for performance. I ride too much salt.

FYI: If you want to do it all yourself and buy just the thermostat, here is what you need. Part number: 99155A1
    Great post - exactly the info I needed. I will always try to make my own versions of things, but sometimes the savings (and risks) aren't worth it. Usually you end up with a sub-standard solution for just a few bucks less.

Sounds like this kit is perfect for cooling and supplying a set of much needed oetiker pliars.

Was the part with the press straightforward or a bit fragile? (I'm used to pressing SC and pump bearings, so I'm at home using the press).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post
    Sounds like this kit is perfect for cooling and supplying a set of much needed oetiker pliars.

Was the part with the press straightforward or a bit fragile? (I'm used to pressing SC and pump bearings, so I'm at home using the press).
    If you were thinking of buying a Oetiker tool, this RIVA kit is a no-brainer.

After you use the RIVA kit, you will come away saying..."that was a well thought out kit." Part of the kit is a steel machined tool that fits and works like magic. Once I had waterpump off, it took about 2 minutes before it was ready to reinstall. Simple enough to figure out but the instructions were dead on.

Don't know the layout in your aS hull, but I only had to removed the 3 air hoses and exhaust hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post

If you were thinking of buying a Oetiker tool, this RIVA kit is a no-brainer.

After you use the RIVA kit, you will come away saying..."that was a well thought out kit." Part of the kit is a steel machined tool that fits and works like magic. Once I had waterpump off, it took about 2 minutes before it was ready to reinstall. Simple enough to figure out but the instructions were dead on.

Don't know the layout in your aS hull, but I only had to removed the 3 air hoses and exhaust hose.
    Layout of hull and pulling hoses is always the easy bit, taking that bleeping bleep top deck off is my issue. Takes forever, eats chunks out of the gelcoat and your hands and takes the patience of a saint to get it lined up and back together.

Just got it back together last week and bang, fuel pump died. Aaaaarrrggghh, so it's open again now. Will close when new FP in and open up again over winter to put in thermostat and 137+4. Wife will hang me by my dangly bits if I spend anymore this season, already blown almost $8k on the money pit (aka my addiction).

+1
    Hi Guys,
    I plan to buy a the thermostat kit from Riva (RS1015) to decrease my engine temp.
    I don't find the specification I am looking for about this kit. What is the thermostat opening temperature? (in C)
    Reading information given by Sanfish, I suppose that it is around 71C (160F) instead of 87C (190F) --> 30F less in Riva datasheet
    I have also seen that we can replace ourselves the thermostat. Where we can find / create the tool to disassemble the water pump.
    Thanks for your help!

+1
    yes the 160* t-stat is the one you want
    and I have done it with out removing the pump from the motor

the only problem with the riva kit is the ring that comes with the kit is too big for the very old t-stats
    it would not work on my 03, I had to use a t-bolt clamp but a good worm clamp will work

+1

Riva RS1015 thermostat kit

Thank you very much Chris,
    I think it is a good mod for my ski. It improves the performance and it is safer for my engine because my engine operating temp is around 91C (195F).

+1
    just did mine . 160 degree thermostat i got his '' sierra 18-3555 '' here in Canada it 26$

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information