Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cavitating 2012 RXTX 260

Good morning friends! Yesterday I helped a grounded boat by pulling him off a sandbar. I was in at least two feet of water while doing so. I was pumping a lot of water to pull him off but no obvious mud/sand coming out. Gave the boater back his line. Rode a few minutes at WFO getting close to 70mph and then all of a sudden it felt like I hit an eelgrass bed, bogged down and then when I hit the throttle it would vibrate and cavitate, can't get over 40mph. I hauled it out on my trailer (boat sportported most of time) and found nothing in the grate from the intake side and after manually raising the reverse bucket (IbR-OVR ON) can see nothing on the outlet side. The wear ring and impeller (stock seadoo) were replaced this year at 70 hours. The impeller and wear ring show no major scoring. There is light scoring on the wear ring where the impeller turns but when I say light, I mean barely noticeable.

No idiot lights indicating overheat conditions if that means anything.

So is the "road to hell paved with good intentions"? Did I "F" myself up trying to help a misguided boater (ICW sign CLEARLY says "DANGER") and what does the JURY of GH think?

I had searched the forum for "cavitating" however found nothing similar to my situation - where it had normal performance and then cavitation.

2012 RXTX 260 AS, 75 hours

+1
    Did you check the supercharger? Two feet of water...doesn't sound good to me. Never supposed to run in less than 3 feet let alone trying to pull a boat off a sandbar in 2 feet of water. You sure that the wear ring isn't junk? The tolerance between the prop and ring is so minimal.

+1
    I would be willing to bet, that is something stuck in your impeller, that you just have not seen yet. Pull the intake grate and look in there again.

4. +1 by:

rem int grate

Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    I would be willing to bet, that is something stuck in your impeller, that you just have not seen yet. Pull the intake grate and look in there again.
    I see the three recessed bolts for the intake grate. Simple R&R? Never pulled one off before.

+1
    Be careful not to twist the heads off the bolt they should have lock tite on them from factory. Post pics of any findings.

7. +1 by:

+1
    A tiny piece of anything can lodge between the blade and wear ring and do this.

Get in there with a flash light and check it all out.

You probably dont even need to pull the intake grate to see it.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Incorrigible View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    I see the three recessed bolts for the intake grate. Simple R&R? Never pulled one off before.
    Yes. Becarefull as VXRslayer says. Just go slow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Driveshaft into engine.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	339208Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Impeller.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	339209Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nozzle.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	339210

So, check these pick out. From Nozzle all you can see is the light scoring on wear ring, and some eelgrass around the impeller. Hotbird had said that anything could be causing the issue - even a piece of grass? Now look at the driveshaft and the rubber seal that sits ahead of my impeller. I would think that seal belongs further up the driveshaft into the engine compartment, no? Again, please Dear Jury, weigh in....

canadian iceman
    +1
    the boot is off the front of the prop...also that grass is mostly your problem but you need to pull the pump and re install prop rubber nose cone put it on tight and it is left hand thread....so lefty tighty righty loosy.....not a big job from where you are now...good luck

+1
    BINGO!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information