Just bought a 97 Seadoo SPX and having an issue

The guy I bought it from told me the mechanic who worked on it did the oil pump block on it so I would have to premix. No biggie. I take it to the lake yesterday and it ran like a beast for about 15 minutes, then I saw the oil light come on. It wouldn't stay on but came on intermittently. I went to shore to put oil in the reservoir with the logic that it would sense oil in it and light would not come on. The reservoir had a little less than half full already but I filled it up the rest of the way.

After riding for about 5-7 minutes after this, the engine began to bog at full throttle. Fast, bog, fast bog....you get the idea.

Could it be possible that the guy who worked on it did not do the block to the oil pump and the premix AND oil pump were both feeding oil into the cylinders causing plug fouling and crappy combustion? It ran fine until I added the oil so that's why I was thinking this.

Now, I've done research already and this bogging issue seems to be fuel related. I will check the engine for the infamous gray fuel lines and also clean out the fuel system too but I want to make sure fuel is my problem and not too much oil as described above.

I am mechanically inclined (worked on aircraft for 14 years and do all my own auto maintenance) but I admit, I don't know anything about two stroke engines or jet skis. This is my first rodeo. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jason

+1
    Was the fuel in the tank pre-mixed correctly? If it was straight gas you just fried your engine... and it will begin to bog before it locks up or blows. Too much oil will not cause high end bogging... you either have fuel issues with old fuel lines or a lot of trash in the tank or you have fried your engine. Start by cleaning out the fuel water seperator filter and see what's in there.

Yes he had been running a 50:1 premix so that's what was in the tank. I'll check out the fuel water seperator. What exactly am I looking for?

here's another issue I have.....there is no evidence that an oil pump block was done. The line from the reservoir to the oil pump is still hooked up. Shouldn't it be removed and plugged??? About to take the fuel/water filter off and look at it.
    Last edited by spx787; 08-18-2014 at 04:17 PM.

+1
    If I were u I'd do compression test to rule out a engine damage. While at it see if spark plugs fouled that mean running rich then u do block off kit and use pre mix.

Update: the spark plugs were wet fouled indicating it running rich or too much oil. I pulled the carbs and one of them had a really gunked up internal filter. The other was a bit dirty but not as bad. Tomorrow I will clean out the carbs and filters, change all the original grey hose with new hose and install new spark plugs.

I also found out that the oil pump "bypass" was half a$$ done by basically just cutting the cable that actuates off the throttle and opens up the oil pump valve. Cheezy way to do it because it is still emitting oil into the cylinders. I'm gonna order a true block off kit and do it right. Thanks for the help and advice, I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Hopefully, I'll have it ready by this weekend.

+1
    Thumbs up!

So I'm guessing it would probably be a good idea to take out the fuel tank, dump it, clean it (in case of gunk in there) and just go with a my own pre mix since I know it will be right. I'm pretty sure at this point, the guy I bought it from did not really know what going on.

+1
    BINGO... time to start from square one... If the oil pump is there and is working I wouldn't block it off... I hate pre-mix. Seadoo oil injection is very reliable when properly adjusted. It saves $$$$ in oil and time and hassle at the pump.

Honestly, I will probably just ride it with premix the rest of this season and then in the winter, order a new cable and convert it back to stock. The easy route right now is just to go premix and there is only about two-three more months of riding this season here in South Tx.

Thread Information