2006 vx110 bad cylinder

I bought this used last year in the spring with 47 hours on it and had a great year with it last year and took it up to 72 hours in one year. This year I didn't take it out until late in the season and first two weekends it worked flawlessly, third time it ran slow, 83 total hours on it. I keep it at a marina that winterized it for me but they don't service waverunners, only yamaha outboards. they put it in and take it out for me each weekend.
    They found 150 psi in front 3 cylinders and 50 psi in rear cylinder. They checked it by disconnecting the injectors and running the starter, no wet test was done, just dry cylinders.

This early failure makes me suspect it was doctored in some way to hide the use. Is there a way to hide the hours of use? I realize they could replace the dash, are the engine hours monitored and stored on the dash electronics or in the engine?

Has anyone heard of a valve that releases the pressure on one cylinder just for starting? I heard this might be a cause.

The same marina winterized it and they don't remove batteries, just change the oil/filter and flush the engine. I'm wondering if they could have missed the oil change, then the engine would have shrapnel in it.
    It's at a shop near my home now, when I hear what it is I'd be interested in hearing what people on here think.
    I've never capsized it (near impossible to do), had any problem with it. The only possible issue was early last year the marina I store it at left the drain plugs out and we knew something was wrong when it wouldn't plane and drove it back to the dock right away. It had water in the hull but not up high on the engine and never sank, the buoyancy is so good it won't sink even with a rider. It ran fine after that the rest of the year. This is the 2nd year I've owned it and it's had very little use and abuse.
    Last edited by lrm; 08-18-2014 at 02:24 PM.

+1
    very common issue on vx 110 : a lot of water is staying in the exhaust muffler, when sitting the moisture goes back into cylinders thru open valves ( there is always open exhaust valves) making the cylinders and valves rusting quickly, making these valves not closing properly and loosing compressions, it could be one or more cylinders and off course the problem get worth with saltwater.
    keep running, try ring free additive in gas and check compressions again later, if still low then the head need to come off for valve lapping job.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrillefrenchy View Post
    very common issue on vx 110 : a lot of water is staying in the exhaust muffler, when sitting the moisture goes back into cylinders thru open valves ( there is always open exhaust valves) making the cylinders and valves rusting quickly, making these valves not closing properly and loosing compressions, it could be one or more cylinders and off course the problem get worth with saltwater.
    keep running, try ring free additive in gas and check compressions again later, if still low then the head need to come off for valve lapping job.
    That gives me hope! Thanks for the quick reply. I'll find out what the shop finds later this week.

The shop gave me the following info-
    Rear cylinder 55 psi, marks on top of piston - valve definitely the cause
    front three cylinders 150 psi

They want $95 an hour for 4 hours to tear it down and give me an exact estimate on how much it will be.

No idea what caused it, don't know if the hours on the meter reflect the amount of wear on the engine, they didn't know about valves failing from water backing up into the exhaust. No guess on how much one piston and a valve job would cost. I'd guess I'm in for a $2500 repair bill, but they weren't going to tell me.

For something that takes no longer then a day to put, tear down, rebuild and install...2500 bucks is a lot. heck Id do it for half that, and grind and lap all your valves..the head should be resurfaced too... if you were local, your VX could get some serious loving, ive been building these since 05... .... doubt you'll need a piston tho...those damn shops charge a mint...

wish you the best of luck

Technician had engine apart and gave me the following info-
    Engine looks almost brand new. Good to hear and shows actuate use on hour meter.
    No marks on the top of piston, only thing that looked bad were valves with rust on them.
    They are cleaning the valves and putting it back together. Likely $1500 fix.

So good news after all. What I don't understand is why it didn't show until 3rd use this season. Tech told me it looked like they didn't fog it when it was winter-ized. Why did it work at all this spring? Wouldn't the first use heat it up and clear any rust out of it?

Thats not too bad, glad it was less then . Since it apart, i would ask them to lap them, only take a minuet per valves...ask and see...

Thread Information