Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking at a few skis for fishing, any recommendations?

Howdy all,

I've been looking to pick up a ski to slowly modify for fishing use. I do a lot of river and lake fishing in Arkansas, but get down to Florida a few times a year and would like something that would handle a few runs a year out to deep water in the Gulf without worrying me.

Currently, I have these in my sights:

'07 GP1300R - $5000 - says it has 32 hours and is in great shape. Like the simplicity of the 2 stroke, though storage and gas mileage will be lackluster. Fun while not fishing, but hull length may concern me.

'06 Seadoo RXT - $6395 - 90 hours on it, a bit more storage than the gp, four stroke but has the supercharger (a lot of fun, but more cost/maintenance from what I've read). Not sure if that year has the ceramic washers in the s/c that would need to be swapped out. A bit more than I wanted to spend, but has a longer hull, better for rougher water.

'99 Yamaha SUV - a friggin yacht! Has 160 hours, owner said a SBT shortblock was put in a while back. Used hull, slower, but has a LOT of storage and I've been interested since I saw JetSkiBrian's setup all over the internet. Also, it's 4+ hours away. Unknown price at the moment, seller wants to start with an offer and I don't know what it would be worth.

Any obvious winner or loser? I'm fairly new to skis, and reliability and long-term costs are the more important traits I'm looking at.
    Last edited by ludeykrus; 08-19-2014 at 02:50 PM.

+1
    For your primary application I would cross the GPR off it. Not stable enough. The fun factor is there but not for fishing. The mpg is not all that much different than a 4 stroke. At steady cruise beside my other ski i will burn less than 1 gallon more than the gtx. Thats with me throwing a couple of wide open runs in there.

Thanks for the info. If anyone has any recommendations for used skis that would be roughly $3-6k, feel free to toss the out. My area doesn't have the best selection, but I may be up for a drive.

+1
    Simplicity of the two stroke is very real. Almost as real as the reliability of a four stroke. IMHO, there's a reason (besides pollution and mileage) that cars use four stroke engines.

My experience fishing offshore is tat I start and stop the engine a lot. That is the bane of two stroke spark plugs. Sure, you can change plugs while bobbing up and down on the swells, but not having to is much better to me. I agree that the RXP is not a good fishing ski. The simple is better approach can be applied to four stroke skis too. I own a mixture of two and four stroke skis of both SeaDoo and Yamaha heritages. IMHO, the Sea Doo offers perhaps a bit drier ride, but the Yamaha has better reliability and ugly water performance should you find yourself getting caught in a squall. In Florida, you needn't go as far to reach deep water as here in Texas, but it's still good to feel confident you can get home no matter what. Anything can get you out, take out what you're confident will bring you home. For me, that's a four stroke ski and at my house I only have two stroke Sea Doos... so they only get pressed when we need ANOTHER ski to go along.

All that is just my opinion and worth what ya paid for it. In the end, do what you're doing. Ask other folks and weigh all the opinions to help formulate your own. Good luck and good fishing.

+1
    i believe best option hands down is the 2002 to 2008 yamaha fx.

+1
    I have two SUVs and they are great for stability. You can jump on the side and not come close to flipping the ski. Very popular to rig for fishing. Tons of storage, but yes, it's a 2-stroke, and as Rev pointed out not great for continuous starts/stops and idling around. Best combination IMHO would be a 4-stroke conversion SUV. WFO can do that for you.

Also look at the Kawasaki Ultra LX (or other Ultra's). Reliable 4-strokers that have a great rough water hull design.

Here is one of mine (2nd from the left):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3042.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	339643

-Greg

+1
    I want your et Mate Boudin... yeppers... a four stroke conversion with big pump, add a windshield and chine, and there's yer fishin' wagon. Rock and Roll. Just go easy on the jumps. That lil tri-hull will snap yer spine when it lands. LOL

+1
    I bought my 2001 Yamaha SUV 2 years ago. I am a 300 pound man and I love it. Stable, I can stand on the side and fish without taking on water. Tons of storage for ropes, anchors, fishing poles, tackle, ski's and etc....... I have only fished in fresh water. I intend on going in the Gulf. The only draw back to my SUV is it drinks the gas. But I will trade a little extra gas for the stability it gives. 13' long X 5' wide. It will top out at around 45MPH. I love it. Good Luck on your searches for the right one. I drove from GA to above St. Louis, MI. That is about 8 hours one way. This SUV had already had a new motor put in, body was in perfect shape trailer was in perfect shape. $4500 dollars. I hope this helped. Good Luck.

+1
    The SUV is a great fishing platform. And as Boudin says a 4 stroke conversion would be perfect. But I doubt it would be in your price range. Where are you located? I would be looking for a Seadoo GTX. Stable, good storage, good fuel economy and dependable. Should be plenty around in your price range.

+1
    Look for an Ultra LX lots of storage over 20 gallon fuel tank good fuel economy and stable in any condition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information