Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PWC Seadoo has major issues; what 'plan of attack' should I use

I have a 2011 GTX Limited 260 - bought it, used it for approximately 2 hours, docked it, next day set out again an 'sank' (for lack of a better word)10 feet from dock up to the bow/nose. Brought it in to original dealer, they cleaned it out, and water tested it with a similar problem. After a couple months of problem shooting original dealer determined factory installation problem of "O-ring", where when machine was on it would sporadically force water into hull. Replaced O-ring under warranty, dealer had me pay extra for the multiple oil changes dealer had to do to clear out oil filter, etc. with expensive oil, because dealer wasn't being fully compensated by BRP. Didn't get back until after season; next summer after first time out and after it was prepped for summer by original dealer, I had another issue; brought in to original dealer unhappy, took them quite some time, determined intercooler needed to be replaced because it went bad probably due to 'sinking' (their words, not mine). Warranty covered, but I still needed to pay some labor, because dealer wasn't being completely compensated by BRP under warranty. I decided I was annoyed by these over-charges, believing they were over-charging me because I'm female (and naive about engines, etc.), so thought I will switch dealers. for Fall 2012 brought PWC in to be winterized; Summer of 2013 starts out machine broken again after season prep performed started for first time; turns out Shore Motor Block (unsure exactly what name is, but engine bar was broken while it sat?) again covered under warranty, but supposedly rebuilt engine with all new parts; also fixed something to do with Supercharger (I cannot read the handwriting regarding that) said should be last of my problems, and they didn't finish until end of season. (So happy with new dealer, no 'over &above charges' for warranty work, no telling me I should 'just deal with it') This summer major issues IBR and Map sensor replaced (computer was setting off 'check engine', and error codes were going off for almost everything from a 'low charge battery' to ? while tech was reviewing, yet upon manual review none of error code issues existed), even though out of warranty BRP covered parts (not labor). Picked it up this past Saturday, took it out Sunday, still same problem. Cannot quickly accelerate, cannot exceed speeds of 25mph, cannot turn 180 degrees without 'check engine' light and alarm going on and immediate feeling of going into neutral. PWC only has 39 hours on it, guessing approximately a quarter of those spent by tech testing. BRP says they are sorry, will give me $800 toward new one because pwc so old, or can try to fix it again, having their tech help current dealer, or possibly bring it up to them in Wis.. Seriously wondering, how much longer can this go on? I can't seem to find a pwc with similar problems. My old 2003 GTX supercharger 185 (also bought new, never had any problems, even let the kids use that one) is so reliable, are these new suspension, braking ones just so much more susceptible? at this point I don't even know what to discuss as the next step in what I want to happen with pwc and BRP. Any suggestions as to what is wrong, what needs to be fixed, should I send it up to Wisconsin? It is essentially end of season at this point. I ca't in good conscience sell it, don't think I I can get anything for it.??? And yes, although I am familiar with boats for over 35 years, and have used pwc for over 10 years, I am still 'stupid'.

+1
    Where is this o ring located?

+1
    Wow and I thought I had problems with mine! Thats a terrible experience and yes, more gadgets the better odds for failure. I started off this summer with like 8-10 different fault codes. 3 months and about $1000 later now Im down to one code and a no power electrical issue. Only thing to do is keep fixing. oh yea and the intercoolers are junk from the go, nothing to do with sinking,
    its aluminum the welds just SUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post
    Again, showing my ignorance, I don't really know, but since it was forcing water in, I'm guessing near intake valve, where weeds, rocks, etc would get caught up (after reviewing other posts on site). When I spoke with customer tech rep from BRP they also call it that wrt discussing warranty work, but I can't seem to find it discussed on this site. Our PWC has never been in salt water, so the inter cooler going bad so quickly seems odd. I wish I could give more, but we have always taken our other PWC and sled (as well as this one) in every year for season and off season prep, so I dont know how the damn things work. I just wonder if BRP taking it up Wis. is the best option, or just hope the consulting rep can do it? Seems like sending it up North may finally fix any gremlins, but wondering if anyone else has used this option, or just insisted on a new pwc? really like the 2011 color (lame I know).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wasafan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post
    Seems like sending it up North may finally fix any gremlins, but wondering if anyone else has used this option, or just insisted on a new pwc? really like the 2011 color (lame I know).
    I can tell you from experience that BRP will NOT replace the pwc with a new one no matter what, but if you aren't affraid to push to topic they will expedite repairs and go above and beyond in regards to covering labor/parts/etc somewhat. Good Luck!

+1
    Wow that's crazy.
    Man and to offer 800$ toward a new one is down right insulting !!
    Good luck with your fight vs BRP... It may be time to involve an attorney, and contact BRP, and the 2 shops especially since you winterized, summerized, bought brand new all at BRP dealers...

Just a quick update, turns out when they replaced most recent IBR and MAP, the IBR had a factory defect (just my luck again!) which prevented any water to run thru line to it, causing IBR and MAP to fail again. BEWARE!!!! Both BRP and dealer mentioned whomever provided part on behalf of BRP made the error. They are replacing when they get new parts, and will have to water test again, probably wont get back this season. BRP should reimburse them for their troubles. However, we cannot discover why they went bad first go around, tech says computer reads all different this time around.

There were intercooler issues in 2011. I am surprised you were charged labor to change it. Where are you located?

+1
    Did it sink in salt water ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dpracing View Post
    Did it sink in salt water ?
    Quote Originally Posted by wasafan View Post
    Our PWC has never been in salt water, so the inter cooler going bad so quickly seems odd.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information