+1

1994 purple hull 701 WaveRaider-slight bogging. Pop off?

I've owned the ski since brand new, 20 yrs. In all of this time, I've been into the carbs maybe 3-4 times for cleaning including just last week after it ran like dog poo three weeks ago.

When I took the carbs apart, I tried to measure the pop off pressure with my tester that I bought from osdparts.com. Using my bike pump, I gave up as the pressure exceeded 45 psi with no pop off. The ski is completely stock and so are the carbs including the stock OEM airbox. I disassembled and then cleaned the carbs with plenty of carb cleaner and compressed air. I paid particular attention to the microscopic low speed passages.

Needles looked good with no ring around the tips. I replaced a few of the soft parts but reused most of the old stuff. None of the check valves were replaced; I reused all the old ones.

I've had the ski out a couple of times since the carb cleanings. The ski runs very well but it does have a slight bog off the line. If I "blip" the throttle once or twice before nailing it, there won't be any bog. In fact, the ski has always been that way since new. I remember doing this same "blip" thing anytime I'd race anyone from a standing start.

Should I start playing with springs and/or needles and seats to lower the pop off pressure. It has 1.5 N&Ss stock and, I believe 95 gm springs. I've got 65 gm springs and my buddy has some black 80 gm springs. I have brand new 2.0 N&Ss.

Could the exhaust water box be filling up with too much water while at idle? Years ago, this is what I thought was causing the slight hesitation. Remember, it's done this it's entire life and now I'd like to fix it once and for all. My friend suggested a Jetworks water restrictor. What do you guys say/suggest?

+1
    I had a new 94 Raider as well, and it always did the same thing, even after heavily modified. I know alot more about fine tuning now, so you need to figure out if it bogs because it is rich or lean. If lean, lowering the pop off could help (stock is like 55 or some crazy number) as well as turning the low speed screw out a bit. If rich, you could turn the screw in a bit. Read up at www.groupk.com, tech articles about carb tuning, a wealth if info there.
    Not sure the Raider exhaust is set up like a GPR where you can redirect water flow from the water box at low speeds. Someone else will have to chime in there.

+1
    LT1, thank you for that link to Group K. There is a ton of good Mikuni carb information there and I plan to reread it again and again.

If I'm understanding what you said, your Raider had the same hesitation problem, right? My GP1200 doesn't have this problem and with tons and tons of wrenching, I was able to eliminate the bog that one of my 1996 Sea Doo XPs had.

+1
    Like I wrote, my WaveRaider has always had the bog/hesitation off the line. After experiencing the crisp throttle response of skis without that problem, I want my Raider to be "bogless" as well .

Thread Information