92 Yamaha Kill switch

Hi everyone, So my 92 Yamaha kill switch assembly is acting up. The "kill" buttons work fine but the start button doesn't. If i manually connect the 2 brown wires at the switch the ski starts right up. How do I dissemble the switch to clean the spring/contacts inside? I don't have the money right now for a whole new assembly. Thanks!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbizub View Post
    Hi everyone, So my 92 Yamaha kill switch assembly is acting up. The "kill" buttons work fine but the start button doesn't. If i manually connect the 2 brown wires at the switch the ski starts right up. How do I dissemble the switch to clean the spring/contacts inside? I don't have the money right now for a whole new assembly. Thanks!!
    should just be two screws holding the thing together. My wave raider has issues sometimes with the switch. I carry a screw driving with me for that reason. I want to eliminate the switch and install one of these for the tether (http://www.motosport.com/atv/BikeMaster-Kill-Switch) and one of the these as the starter button (http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Prod...tch/M8801.aspx). Thats for next season though. Right now I just want it back in the water this year running trust worthy. Nothing worse than taking a damn PWC out and never knowing if you will make it back.

Those deff look like a possibility. I took the assembly off the handlebars but how do i take apart the switch itself? thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbizub View Post
    Those deff look like a possibility. I took the assembly off the handlebars but how do i take apart the switch itself? thanks
    Others have criticized the use of those switches, But i have used them in muddy/wet conditions for years with NO problems. Im not quite sure where you are stuck at now. The switch should have opened up to remove it from the handle bars. Can you take pictures? Upload them from the Tapatalk smartphone app?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the yamaha kill switches wear out and reall cannot be repaired outside of cleaning with contact cleaner. Bit ethe bullet and get one. Might have one for a 92 laying aroun I can sell to you for $50 ( and only because I like greenwood lake).

If you manage to open it up you'll see how poor the design is.

Give it a break. it's 22 years old!

Thread Information