+1

Fouling Plugs / Stalling on 2002 Virage i

2002 Virage i, has ben stalling on me. I just dies when running. Dosnt matter what throttle position, idle, half, full. It can happen any time. When it stalls, I hit the starter and it fires right back up. I changed the PZFR6H plugs and problem went away for about 8 hours of running time. Problem is back. Pulled the plugs and they were solid black. More dry black than wet black. PZFR6H plugs are supposed to have 100 hour life span. They are expensive to change every 5 hours.
    What can cause fouled plugs on the fuel injected model? Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Harsax13; 08-20-2014 at 06:14 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Check or replace the air intake sensor, exhaust temp sensor.

Check for EMM trouble codes.

Check for correct voltage to Injectors when running (White/Red wires).

Has the TPS been changed?

With fresh spark plugs does it run properly?
    Full RPM, smooth across the power range, no hesitation, no surging or missing?

+1
    K4, as always thanks for the help.

I will start with the air intake sensor, exhaust temp sensor. It seems to happen only when motor is hot, smokes alot when first started. Also one of the plugs has light brown "burn" mark, on bottom of outside ceramic. I have attached pic.

Maybe the motor is getting too hot and shutting down. Strange thing is no alarms, and will restart immediately. To answer your other questions...Original TPS, Not sure how to pull the EMM codes, havent checked the injector voltage. With fresh plugs it runs fine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plugs.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	339418

I think maybe EMM is not getting the signal that motor is up to temp. EMM could be in "choke" mode dumping extra gas/oil, and fouling plugs. Thats why I will start with
    air intake sensor, exhaust temp sensor. What do you think? Thanks!

+1
    See my signature links, in the Ficht section, for the simple LED code reading tool.

Check that the cooling system itself is actually good. No kinked or blocked hoses, thermostat and pressure bypass valve not jammed, etc.

And make sure the water flow through the EMM is actually flowing, not blocked somewhere.

Banned User
    +1
    My plugs looked like that when I was running with no fuel pressure........

+1
    I checked the air and water temp sensors. Both ohm out as good. Also checked cooling system. No obvious clogs.

I will work on making a code test light. I wish someone sold them on ebay.

TPS is original 2002. Do you think the TPS could make it foul plugs and stall, only to immediately restart? Im leaning toward EMM problem..

Banned User
    +1
    You should check your fuel pressure just to be sure. My plugs looked like that after running with no regulator.

+1
    I removed the fuel line pressure valve when i replaced the fuel lines. I figured i can splice it back in if needed. Was the valve on the top fuel line, or the bottom?

It soulds like fuel pressure is not a problem. When i start it i can see the lines move with pressure. When i stop motor i can hear the relief valve spitting gas back into fuel tank.

If i have low voltage to fuel injectors, is that an indication of EMM problem?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsax13 View Post
    I removed the fuel line pressure valve when i replaced the fuel lines. I figured i can splice it back in if needed. Was the valve on the top fuel line, or the bottom?

It soulds like fuel pressure is not a problem. When i start it i can see the lines move with pressure. When i stop motor i can hear the relief valve spitting gas back into fuel tank.

If i have low voltage to fuel injectors, is that an indication of EMM problem?
    Schrader tee fitting is in the fuel return hose. Fuel return is the upper connections at the Ficht fuel injectors.

+1
    Hello guys, Sorry about the delay.
    Update: Did some research. Thought it could be the start/stop module ( LR-503-1) going bad. Thought it was getting a false "kill" signal. I cut the Black/yellow stripe wire on the LR-503-1. That is the "stop button" wire. I had to shut off motor with tether when riding. That didn't fix the problem. Motor shut itself off once in a while. I spliced the Black/yellow wire back together. Now I think its a problem with the EMM. In the spring I will put in new plugs. It if keeps happening I will have to send EMM in for diagnostic. Any other thoughts guys?

Thread Information